Why did you buy Canon?

EDL

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So, what is it about a Canon that swayed you over a Nikon, or Sony, or...?

EDL said:
So, what is it about a Canon that swayed you over a Nikon, or Sony, or...?

I was torn between Nikon and Canon. I went to the store, played with both, and the Canon felt better in my hands. Any of the current cams are capable of excellent images. So, for me, it boiled down to which fit my hands the best.

Well a few reasons:

1) At the time Canon (Esp with the entry level camera bodies) was more ruling the roost in terms of camera body specifications. Noise control was higher on the entry level and in general through the range. So there were a fair few canon supporters around.

2) Many of the wildlife shooters I ended up chatting too were also shooting Canon

3) 400mm f5.6 - 100-400mm - 300mm f4 - all within the rough price range I saw that I could possibly afford one day. Something that, again, lacked in Nikon was the variety of choice (they just have the 300mm f4).

4) Can't honestly recall if I considered it at the time or was even aware it existed - but the MPE65mm macro certainly keeps me with Canon today. 1:1 to 5:1 and a totally Canon unique lens. There are other options, but honestly this is the simplest way to get the 1-5 range of magnifications in a single lens package (and the other options are not cheap either - for good quality).

Because the EOS100 was exactly what I needed at that time. Then subsequently I stuck with Canon for SLRs as they are compatible with my lenspark. My first venture into digital was with the 5D which I did never regret after.

+1 to Overread...macro is my goal and that MPE65 is sweet. Was just curious if there was something else in particular (technically) about the Canons.

Thanks guys.

Well I wanted my T3i for mostly video. Also, my brother already had a Canon, so I got to start off with some of his lenses.

Cos carrying a canon sounds cool

Someone returned a new T2I at Wal Mart and they could not sell it as new. Got at 50% off. Now I look for the red tag and was able to buy my wife one as well. Good camera to learn on.

I bought a Canon 20D back when 8 MP was "the new standard" over the prior generation's 6MP I had in my Fuji S2 Pro. The 20D was my "Canon trial" camera. I got it with a Sigma 18-125 DC lens for walkabout use, and a 100mm f/2.8 EF macro that I got used for $240 as I recall. I then picked up a 50mm f/1.8 EF-II lens. I the next lens I got was soon after, when I bought a 70-200/2.8 L-IS USM. it might be hard to imagine today, but the 2003-2004 era was pretty far behind where we are today; the quality of the images from a $699 low-end Nikon or Canon or Sony are far above those of even a professional camera of that era, and MUCH of the software we take for granted today was in its infancy back then.

At that time, Nikon's D100 was a so-so camera...Nikon's D1h was at 4.2 MP, and had simple but decent five-area autofocus...Fuji's S2 Pro had beautiful color! BUT--it needed 4-AA batteries AND two, 123A lithium batteries in order to get say 300 shots on one load of AA rechargeables. Without the two 123A batteries, the Fuji S2 Pro would chew through the 4 AA's in as few as 45 frames!!! One set of batteries ran one side of the camera, the other set ran the other side--normally. But, withiout the lithiums in the handgrip, the AA's in the battery tray underneath the grip were forced to carry the whole load, and without those two 123A's ($6.99 each then at walk-in retail!!! and NO rechargeable 123A at that time!) the Fuji S2 pro, while the best camera for a Nikon user in terms of color and pleasing images, was a real PITA in terms of battery switching,charging, and hassles. When it hit the market, the Canon 20D was **the** hot, new wedding and generalist camera. At least as far as I was concerned.

I later got a 5D classic kit with the 24-105 f/4 L IS USM as an all-arounder, and added the 580 EX-II flash, the 50/1.4, 85/1.8,135/2,135 2.8 Soft Focus, and in 2006, that and the 70-200 2.8 made up a pretty hot chit Canon setup!!! The 5D and 50 and the grip is the camera seen in my avatar selfie to the left<<<<. At the time, Nikon had NO full-frame option, and the 5D Classic was, at the time, one of the best imagers on the market. The 5D still compares favorably with the Nikon D3 and D700 bodies in terms of image quality. I bought the 5D because I REALLLLLLLY wanted to see what a full-frame camera was like, and I wanted to see if I could make a clean break from Nikon and to Canon. At that time, Nikon (and me!!!) was still "stuck" with the D2x...which was, in many was, a freaking fiasco...a $5,000 fiasco.

I wanted a camera with a fast lens mount. The Pentax I looked at had screw mount lenses, the Canon had their FD breech lock lenses, which sold me - about 50 years ago. Stayed with Canon ever since, haven't regretted it.

Canon didn't sway me from any other brand. Canon felt good in my hands and I like their menus and all that. I take the pictures my camera doesn't. I haven't regretted buying a Canon camera at all.

At the time I was buying a new camera I was actually going for the pentax K10 and they were out of stock. The canon 400D was the only one they had in at that time so I bought it and after buying a lot of glass there is no reason to swap to a different brand.

When I was a kid (c. 1970's), my Dad had a Bell & Howell FD35, that had a Canon 50mm 1.4. I learned on that camera. He then upgraded to the AE-1 (which I still have and use), and I've never looked back. I even went to work for Canon for a couple of years!

More lens choice, faster auto focus, more frame rate, more 3rd party accessories.

Most reactions

Back