Why did you buy Canon?

I've shot with Sony, Fuji, Nikon and Canon. Every brand has it's stregths just as every brand has it's downfalls. In the right hands, all are capable of taking amazing photos.

I stuck with Canon because I perfer the interface to the other brands. I like the way it feels in my hands and the way the menu/controls are set up. I shot with a friend's Nikon not long ago... everything seemed "backwards" to me and it felt awkward.

It all comes down to personal taste.

It was the first camera I handled, and it has a nice layout. I'd much rather have more buttons than have one dial with every setting on it. Nikon just felt weird in my hands. It felt like they tried too hard on the ergonomics and body style.

I also liked Canon because their entry-level cameras seemed to trump Nikon's in my opinion. My parents always bought Canon brand compact cameras well, even in film days. I guess I've always been around them so it was just natural.

But you cant go wrong with 300f2.8L 200f2.8L 50f1.4 24-70f2.8L 70-200f4L just a few of my lenses

If you can't go wrong with those lenses, then what's the point of conducting those tests and researches?

I don't, i just buy mostly L lenses

That's only for the rich or the pros. I'm not either, therefore I couldn't afford to buy the wrong stuff cause' I can't afford higher end lenses.

EchoingWhisper said:
That's only for the rich or the pros. I'm not either, therefore I couldn't afford to buy the wrong stuff cause' I can't afford higher end lenses.

Personally I prefer real world reviews as opposed to lab tests. Plus tbh I like some of the lens flaws. Real world reviews just serve me better

one of my favourite lenses (I took many of my better images with this lens) is one with a rather poor DxO benchmark. Hence I do not care much for benchmarks anyway ;)

What lens is it?

The 24-105 f/4 IS L ... a cucumber of a lens in some way, but I fix CA and distortion in RAW conversion, and the sharpness is OK. Its versatility makes it my often preferred choice.

Best out of camera image quality I get from my 300 f/4 IS L .. no CA visible at my 5D II, no relevant distortion, and really sharp from slightly beyond f/4 onwards.

Always keep in mind quality variation from specimen to specimen. Apparently I got a really good 300.

One of the reasons I bought my Canon was because of the prices of lenses at the time. Canon's top lenses weren't as expensive as Nikon's. I bought my 24-70 for $1200 instead of $1600. My 70-200 for $1600 instead of $2000. Now Canon has released newer versions of both of those lenses, both of which cost more than the Nikon equivalent. So much for that.

Another reason is that Nikon's lens compatability chart was baffling to me at the time. It makes sense now, but as an absolute beginner that thing is confusing as hell. Being that I wasn't buying a full frame Canon, any ef or efs lens would work and I liked that simplicity. Much less intimidating to someone that knows nothing.

Benchmarks are important, for many reasons.

Not all the reasons are necessarily good ones. Benchmarks are major hype for marketing. Personally I think America as a whole is eat up with benchmark fever. We already know how benchmarks affect the PC market, yet in many cases it's difficult to decipher what they really mean.

Certainly benchmarks are important in photography as it's a bit moe difficult to synthesize benchmarks for optical sharpness or other physically measurable characteristics of a lens, but photography is subjective, so having the most technically perfect equipment doesn't guarantee you'll take great photos.

I'm a bit put off by internet "reviews" by consumers because in almost every case you'll find a nearly 50/50 split on whatever item you are looking at. Such is the nature of the internet. Reviews by photography specific bloggers or established industry magazines are usually decent, but even they can vary from reviewer to reviewer.

For me, I like a mix of all the above. Ultimately it's like anything else, you know your budget, you know what you like and it's your own opinion of your equipment that matters.

I've always been a Canon man, always been happy with them.

I bought a 1000d on special to photograph my kids then fell in love with photography. I lernt on my 1000d which has recently broken :( now time to upgrade to a 7d love canon tried a Nikon and hated it 7d will be my next cam

I can use a canon to destroy my enemies fortress, while all they have are Nikons and Sonys which aren't very effective against castles.

I was looking to purchase my 1st DSLR, and a friend of mine was looking to unload a 30D. It was all downhill from there! Wouldn't think about jumpin ship.

For me it was simple reasons. I liked the feel of the canon in my hand much better, and all of my previous point and shoot cameras (advanced and practical for carrying around in my pocket) had been canon. Since canon is pretty good about keeping a lot of the functions similar it was a very easy transition from my adv-point and shoot canon powershot to my rebel t2i.

Chooses CANON because,

it offer's 5X Zoom
HD 720p Movie
Great Filters
Discrete mode
Feels good in hand
Nice colors to choose from
Image Stabilizing

Only thing I've noticed as -ve point in this camera is, when I take macro mode WITH flash, there is a black portion appearing in the image's right bottom corner. May be it is there because the flash is placed on right side of the lens.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back