Why did you buy the camera you have?

wanting to make the jump from film to digital, on a budget.
research lead me to my D40.

now im ready to upgrade, and my research and budget have lead me to a D200...i just need to get it. ;)

What research are you researching? I don't see ANY reason to purchase a D200 right now, unless you could get it DIRT cheap...like sub $500.

The D200 has horrible ISO performance for anything over 400. It's an old CCD sensor, and frankly, I think the D90 is a far better camera.

wanting to make the jump from film to digital, on a budget.
research lead me to my D40.

now im ready to upgrade, and my research and budget have lead me to a D200...i just need to get it. ;)

What research are you researching? I don't see ANY reason to purchase a D200 right now, unless you could get it DIRT cheap...like sub $500.

The D200 has horrible ISO performance for anything over 400. It's an old CCD sensor, and frankly, I think the D90 is a far better camera.

budget will always be an issue with me since this is a hobby, and ive seen used d200s on adorama for 499. i know it;s probably not the best upgrade, but i think the d90 is still out of my budget.
if you think the d90 is that much better, maybe ill just save up more and snag one of those bodies.

*EDIT*
thanks for the heads up DScience...i just checked out the D90 indepth on dpreview. looks like quite a beast, and the CMOS sensor has to be worth the extra couple hundred right? not to mention the better ISO performance as you mentioned.
i guess i have a new target for my upgrade. adorama has the body right now for 788. maybe by this spring ill have the loots. or ill get silly and pull the trigger on the credit card. :D
thanks again for the wise advice.

Last edited:
Well, at least the salesman didn't sell you a pile of junk. You will learn to love that 7D. You can start with it on automatic settings until you get used to it, but will certainly eventually dive into the (extensive) capabilities it offers. My guess is that you will be happy with it for quite a while.

Got my XSi because of budget... I don't need the video capture so I skipped on the T1i.

Picked Canon because most of my photog friends all use Canon as well as my father used to shoot Canon on an oldschool metal beast of a film SLR. Actually, he still has it kicking around at home.

I bought the original Digital Rebel (300D) back in 2005 because my Minolta fil body quit and I wanted to go digital....plus my friend had one. When I got better, I realized I really wanted a 5D (the original) because I do landscape. Unfortunately I couldn't afford it. One evening I was talking to my parent by phone. I mentioned I'd love to get the 5D if I had the money, but I knew I could never afford it. A month later I received a check for the 5D (back in 2007)....it was ~$2500.

One evening I was talking to my parent by phone. I mentioned I'd love to get the 5D if I had the money, but I knew I could never afford it. A month later I received a check for the 5D (back in 2007)....it was ~$2500.

Just curious....Are you parents interested in adopting a 34 year old Canadian male who's married with an 18 month old daughter and another baby due in July? I don't eat much and I'm potty trainned...I'm just saying....lol.

Peace!
- Dan

I was given the camera and 2 lenses I have for it (in sig). My lenses are nice but the camera's low light performance is rough at best....and I am stuck in 4/3 bizarro world.
I just got a D90 and a few lenses for X-mas and I m happy with that decision. I feel like I have so many more options for lenses

Canon SX-120.
Large LCD, 10x zoom for just $199! cant be beat.
Too bad no flash hot shoe.

Just curious....Are you parents interested in adopting a 34 year old Canadian male who's married with an 18 month old daughter and another baby due in July? I don't eat much and I'm potty trainned...I'm just saying....lol.

Peace!
- Dan

LOL!! I'm 45 with 2 daughters and a wife. :lol:

Peace!
- Dan

LOL!! I'm 45 with 2 daughters and a wife. :lol:

Did your parents want a huge family? ... volunteers to join ... :lmao:

Originally I bought a Canon XSi - which served me as a great camera - but I found the Olympus E-620 online and fell in love with it. I love the smaller size of this camera - the built in IS in the camera helps me save on lenses, the swivel screen is a nice feature to have. So sold the XSi and E-620 is now my weapon of choice.

Started in the late 90's with a nikon N60, Christmas gift. Made the digital switch in 2006 when I picked up a used D70, stayed with nikon because I had a couple of lenses already and liked the results from the N60. Finally last year I got tired of my wife always asking to see the camera on vacations when I was shooting stuff. So I got the D90 and gave her the D70 and a lens, both of us couldn't be happier.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back