Why did you choose film?

Discussion in 'Film Discussion and Q & A' started by LauraPlank, Jul 12, 2007.

1. LauraPlank

LauraPlank TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Hi, I know there have been various topics on here about the good old film vs digital debate but I wanted to start a new one based souly on everyones personal experiences with film and digital and why they ended up choosing film.

Based on your work I mean, why did traditional photography fit your own needs for a certain picture better?

Also, if anyone is interested in doing an online web interview about their work then can you PM me? I will just ask you about your favourite pieces and equipment you used and personal opinions.

This will all be used in my research and perhaps a presentation for a film vs digital essay.

Any help would be gratefully appreciated. :wink:

Laura

2. Alex_B

Alex_B No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    dynamic range on film is better. very contrasty shots / complicated ambient light gives digital sensors a hard time due to their limited dynamical range...

i live in both worlds.

3. sabbath999

sabbath999 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    I still shoot film when I shoot medium format because it offers an image quality that digital simply can not duplicate.

4. deanimator

deanimator TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I only shoot digital if I need the speed...or if the shot isn´t really very important.

5. blackdoglab

blackdoglab yeah I'm easy.... but I'm not cheap

Photos OK to edit
    I shoot filme because i like the process of shooting and developing. When I shoot color, I often shoot with expired film in hopes of finding ahappy accident on the part of the film and the light.

6. ann

ann No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    i love film, the look, the process. After almost 60 years of doing darkroom work ; the magic of watching a print appear like magic still makes my heart sing.

I rather make bread from scatch rather than use a machine.

I do on occasion use digital and for somethings it is a great tool. However, i have no emotional connection.

It is amazing that all this comes about from 1's and 0"s, but since i can't touch the files,etc. it leaves me in a vacum.

I am rather tried of a debate, both have value, pick the right tool for the vision.

7. Chas

Chas TPF Noob!

Wow. The stochastic theory of esthetics in photography. I like it. That is very cool - and I mean that sincerely. Many of the great discoveries in science have been made along similar lines. It's Popperian, even ....

Now it may not be efficient, but often efficiency is the enemy of discovery. Anyway it's the result that counts (and whether or not it stands careful scrutiny by one's peers), not how you got the blasted thing - which is K. Popper in a nutshell if I have him right.

8. terri

terri Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Certain photographic processes that I do require a film transparency, positive or negative. Bromoil prints, Polaroid emulsion lifts, hand coloring, toning, etc. There are many more out there I've yet to try.

And that is only referring to the stage following film development - which in and of itself is very satisfying, as well as inexpensive.

Even without thinking of additional processes available to work on a silver gelatin print, simply being in the darkroom and making my own prints is quite a joyous activity.

Digital photography is quite sterile to me by comparison, though it was very handy to have when I needed snaps of my cameras for my website. It made a rather tedious type of photography quick, fast and painless.

9. blackdoglab

blackdoglab yeah I'm easy.... but I'm not cheap

Photos OK to edit
    I'm convinced that there are distinct personality types that are lead inevitably to film or digital.

10. Chas

Chas TPF Noob!

Reading this makes me feel a bit nostalgic and a bit sad .... I gave all my darkroom stuff to the local school a couple years ago, after moving to a part of the country (long before that) where noone has a basement for Pete's sake ........ Also, when I had my own fairly loaded basement darkroom I was a bachelor with the time and means to fully indulge myself - life has changed in many ways, which I don't otherwise regret.

No, I shall be strong and stride forth bravely into the crisp, slightly chill and thin air that characterizes the Digital Age, without noticing when a gentle whiff of thio passes on the breeze. How I loved the smell of the place downstairs, but then I am an organic chemist/biochemist by training .........

*sigh*

Charles.

11. nealjpage

nealjpage multi format master in a film geek package

Photos OK to edit
    I shoot film because of the economics of it: I couldn't afford a good digital camera, so I got a cheap used K1000. And I was hooked. I still can't afford a good digital camera, so I bought a cheap MF. And now i'm hooked on that.

12. Orrin

Orrin No longer a newbie, moving up!

The main reason I chose film is that when I started in Photography (late 1940's),
    that was all there was. The main decision then was 'what format'. In those days
    35mm was not considered a 'serious' format because the negative was to small
    to be usefull.

These days I still use film and have the negatives scanned to a CD.

In my opinion, digital cameras are changing too fast for an old coot like me
    to be able to keep up.

Longivity is also a problem with digital. I still have usable negatives from the
    1940's and 1950's. I can look at them and print them optically. Thirty years
    from now, how are you going to view the digital work you took last week?
    Will there be a reader that can still read your 'old' CD?

Already some museums are discovering that things stored a few years ago are
    not readable because of the lack a reader for the media, or it's stored in a
    format that is no longer supported.

The only way I see to preserve todays digital images, is to 'write' them onto film.
    For archival storage, color images should be copied to silver based separation negatives!