Why digital?

LauraPlank

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Why did you choose digital? Hi, I wanted to start a thread based souly on everyones personal experiences with film and digital and why they ended up choosing digital.

Based on your work I mean, why did digital photography fit your own needs for a certain picture better?

Also, if anyone is interested in doing an online web interview about their work then can you PM me? I will just ask you about your favourite pieces and equipment you used and personal opinions.

This will all be used in my research and perhaps a presentation for a film vs digital essay.

Any help would be gratefully appreciated. :wink:

Laura

i chose digital because i find it a lot easier to make sure i'm getting good shots. theres no processing fee or time involved, and i dont have to rely on someone else to do my developing so my photos can go straight from the camera to photoshop or print

Why did you choose digital? Hi, I wanted to start a thread based souly on everyones personal experiences with film and digital and why they ended up choosing digital.

Based on your work I mean, why did digital photography fit your own needs for a certain picture better?

Also, if anyone is interested in doing an online web interview about their work then can you PM me? I will just ask you about your favourite pieces and equipment you used and personal opinions.

This will all be used in my research and perhaps a presentation for a film vs digital essay.

Any help would be gratefully appreciated. :wink:

Laura

Frankly my choice to Go Digital was based on the simple fact that I have no room for a darkroom.

Ive learned a fair amount since I made that choice, after a nerly thirty year hiatus from photography

I basically made the transformation to digital kicking & screaming. All my formative years and most of my professional career has been with film, I love film, but my work started going digital 5-years ago, hence digital became the tools I was given to do my job. That and it was easy to read the writing on the wall and see that digital would be here to stay. Having said that, I have embraced digital because it has made my job infinitely easier and the quality is there.

It's really much cheaper when shooting a large number of photos, that's why I made it.

- If you shoot alot, it is much cheaper.

- also processing takes much less time (on a fast computer)

- asyou need not to scan the film, it is much more convenient when your final output should be a digital image.

i live in both worlds

I chose digital because it gives you so much more freedom with your projects.

I can bring together not only photography, but also illustration and digital painting and compositing 3D elements.

That way my shots can be exactly how I envision them. I'm not limited to what's physically in front of the camera.
I'm limited only by my technical ability and imagination.
I'm also big on digital video, because it offers me the same freedoms.

Back in 1976 I joined my brothers industrial advertising agency. Automotive special machines/machine tools/robotics (what autos are made with).
I apprenticed with the resident Photographer/Cinematographer and experience was love at first sight. B&W small,medium and large formats. I learned 16mm Cinematography and so had opportunity to work with the several different mediums.
In 1978, industrial video became viable and so we transitioned from film to video, but always maintained the still side of things for printed media.
I became the executive producer for a large display and industrial show house. Stills faded from my regular work.
In the 90's I got back into stills while working for a large automation company as their publications director. Good ol' Mamiya Maxxum 35mm.
Happened to walk through Best Buy and the Kodak rep sold me on the ONLY digital that produced a FULL 1Mb file. The Kodak model 245 and I think it was well over $800.00 at the time. I was hooked.

1. I live in Colombia where it is impossible to fine positive film, outside of Bogota. (Local Sales person- "Pelicula Positiva!?!)"

2. I am a techno freak and love processing prints on the computer.

3. REALLY love being able to see black and white before even snapping the shutter.

Alan

I've been on film for years and still am to a little degree. There's things that can not be done digitally.

Ultimately though I picked digital because of cost. After a trip to Europe I had 10000 clicks on the shutter. That would have been expensive to develop. Ultimately I picked the best 400 and got them printed for much less than $100.

I started in digital in 1999 when it was still very expensive. A 2.5 MP DSLR for 5K. I had gotten in a rut with film and bored with my craft. Digital has permitted me to experiment and see what I did or didn't do quickly, making changes on the fly. The quick return on time invested was what hooked me. Up until I started shooting the D1X I was disappointed with the quality of larger digital prints. Cameras today are finally getting to the point of really replacing film in my opinion. So, why am I getting back into MF film? I don't really have an answer other than I am starting to miss the feel and smell of that medium. It will still have a foot in the digital realm, I plan to scan the negatives and enter my normal digital work-flow that way. And when digital backs get cheaper...........

Most reactions

Back