Why do I get dark spots in my landscape photos?

mwct

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Example.jpg

When I take landscape photos like the one above, I get dark spots esp in the sky. Why does this happen and what can I do about it?

Assuming this is from a DSLR, it is most likely dust on the sensor.

See instruction manual on proper cleaning. Most local camera shops will clean the camera for you.

To help reduce dust in the future, point the camera down when changing lenses...

Exif says this was shot at f/22. If you open up some it will be less noticeable, and if you open up more it won't even show up.

But you aren't always going to want to do that... This photo for example, you probably would have lost the detail in the foreground if you had shot at a wider aperture.

Yep, dust on the sensor... I shot some pics of this mornings sunrise and it had the same type of markings.

Ah thanks guys. I never would have suspected that as I have a Digital Rebel XTi which is supposed to clean its own sensor.

It does to an extent, but its not perfect. If need be you can always edit these out.

Ah thanks guys. I never would have suspected that as I have a Digital Rebel XTi which is supposed to clean its own sensor.

I have the XTI as well. And I thought the dust removal system is cool. But after I read this

http://pixinfo.com/en/articles/ccd-dust-removal/

I will not use the dust removal system as a criteria when choosing a camera. I believe it is just for marketing purpose.

Even more frustrating? I cleaned by camera with a blower. Now it's even worse than before.

Even more frustrating? I cleaned by camera with a blower. Now it's even worse than before.

Not a good idea to clean SLRs with a blower. I always take mine to the camera shop to get them to clean it for me if it is needed. I do not trust myself to to it on my own.

I have always found one of those rockets to work great.

Not a good idea to clean SLRs with a blower. I always take mine to the camera shop to get them to clean it for me if it is needed. I do not trust myself to to it on my own.

I had to learn how to clean it on my own, nearly every time I change lenses I get dust in there. Yes, I am holding the camera down but it still gets in there. Drives me bananas!

I have always found one of those rockets to work great.

Same here.
Point body down. Point rocket in and give it a couple puffs. Dust bunnies are gone.

If that doesn't work - I will panic, run around like chicken without head, etc ... so hope it alway work. I never want to touch the sensor. Would rather pay shop $50 to do it.

You don't really touch the sensor...it's just a piece of glass (filter) in front of the actual sensor. No way I'm paying somebody $50 to clean a 1" piece of glass.

I had the same problem about a month ago, took it to get cleaned, dude wasn't very nice, told me he had cleaned it but some dust in the viewfinder was bound to get back onto the sensor...

to be honest i'd rather get a pro to do it, so just waiting till sept. till i move to UK maybe someone can do it properly for me there

Mystwalker, same here, when i found some dust I was freaking out, it was at night so there was nothing i could immediately do about it, couldn't sleep until i got it cleaned the other day

Most reactions

New Topics

Back