Why do I have a yellow cast on EVERYTHING?

jonolikesbuster

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So, I have a Canon 5D and I'm getting a nasty cast on all the stuff I take. I made a little graph thing with the white balance. I took these at all the same eposure, just using diffrent WB. Tell me what you think is wrong. I've reset all the camera settings and changed lenses to no avail. Help would be appricated.

NastyCASTREZ.jpg

looks about right to me... Tungsten is the least 'yellow' and thats the correct setting for indoor use. I doubt you'll get a yellow cast on anything taken outside.... so its not your camera or your lenses.

You have to look at the type of lighting you are shooting under. It's Tungsten, which has a very low color temperature. Look at the image with tungesten white balance. It's much closer to what it should be. If you are going to shoot jpg, and color is critical, then get yourself a color temp meter. Otherwise, shoot in raw (highly recommended) and white balance in post production software.

guess you have mixed light there .. so not Tungsten only, and not Flourecent only.

Actually Tungsten WB looks best in your case.

Try shooting raw and adjusting in the raw converter. indoor with mixed light sources can be a bit complicated.

.. that much from a 5 D shooter.

Don't judge me.

It's not that it is mixed light, it's purely tungsen. And it does this everwhere, not just inside. The only way I can really get it to have a decent WB is to set it manually, which can be a pain if you have to change it often.

Don't judge me.

hmm? no one is judging you ... i just speak from experience, indoors unless under studio conditions you almost always have mixed light.

It's not that it is mixed light, it's purely tungsen. And it does this everwhere, not just inside. The only way I can really get it to have a decent WB is to set it manually, which can be a pain if you have to change it often.

well, every photographer who shoots more than bright standard landscapes will tell you that manual is the only way to get proper WB ...

I also suggest shooting in RAW...especially if WB is this important to you.

Is your monitor correctly calibrated?

hmm? no one is judging you ... i just speak from experience, indoors unless under studio conditions you almost always have mixed light.

Oh, sorry. I thought the "that much from a 5D shooter" was supposed to be cutting.

Anyway, the point isn't that it works with a custom WB and you should shoot with a custom WB. The point is it's not doing what it's supposed to be doing and having correct colors when I put it on a preset.

And yes, I've calibrated my monitor. It also looks yellow on the camera's screen. And I do frequently shoot in RAW but sometimes it's inconvinent.

The point is it's not doing what it's supposed to be doing and having correct colors when I put it on a preset.
It's a preset...not an absolute. If you carefully measured 10 different tungsten bulbs...you probably wouldn't find two that had the same color temp. The preset is just their best guess as to the color temp for indoor/tungsten lighting.

I pretty much always use AWB and adjust in RAW. I used to think that it was more inconvenient to shoot RAW but once I started using better software (R.S.E.)...I shoot in RAW almost exclusively.

Oh, sorry. I thought the "that much from a 5D shooter" was supposed to be cutting.

lol, no I just wanted to express that that i have trhe same camera and are very happy with WB.. also compared to other cams :)

Anyway, the point isn't that it works with a custom WB and you should shoot with a custom WB. The point is it's not doing what it's supposed to be doing and having correct colors when I put it on a preset.

there is no camera on the market which will give you correct results all the time with auto WB.

as for presets.. those are estimates, which not always hit what you want perfectly...

if you think you cam works not properly, then your only chance to find out would be to try a second 5d copy and compare ...

hey all. Ya I know this kid who posted this and I have seen his probelm first hand. I have a sony a100 and my WB is comming out almost perfect to what the 5d is doing. In my opinion there is somethign wrong with the camera because it is so off. I can set my settings to the wrong ones and still get way less of a cast as those examples above.

The point is it's not doing what it's supposed to be doing and having correct colors when I put it on a preset.

Yes it is. Your examples are exactly what I would expect using those wb settings under household tungsten lighting.

Auto wb doesn't seem to work very well with any DSLR. It gets close some of the time.

The other settings match particular color temperatures, and there is no setting to match the color temp of a household tungsten bulb, other than dialing in the specific color temp yourself (try 2800), or using the custom wb feature. The tungsten setting on the camera is balanced for tungsten photoflood bulbs, which are like household bulbs on steroids.

Read up on color temperature, and your 5D manual explains exactly what color temp each wb setting is balanced for.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_temperature

Most reactions

Back