Why do I only get the guys?

RickyN29

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
:mrgreen:

I am building my portfolio so I am trying to get a lot of portraiture under my belt with my new setup.

But here is my problem....they are 99% male. I guess I just feel a little awkward approaching a female and asking if they would be interested in doing some photos. I fear they are going to think I am hitting on them/flirting/being a perv.

I could see if my name was well known, but I am nobody.

So, any tips? Have a gal pal with me when we approach and do the shoot?

Plus, I am very shy, something I REALLY have to get over. I've been single my whole life, so I just don't have any real 'human touch' experience which is a necessity in photography!

Tips tips tips!

Just be honest and it should be okay. "I am moving up in photography and working on a portfolio. Would you be interested in sitting for a portrait shoot? I can give you x number of prints for free." Show them the portfolio stuff that you already have too so they can see that you are serious.

I don't think it would hurt to have a gal pal with you but it shouldn't be necessary.

In my experience, the embarrasment and awkwardness that comes fairly naturally to a bloke in this situation is fully countered by the flattery a woman experiences when asked to model. Just remember that if she's with any other women you HAVE to invite them as well or risk female wrath (oh boy that was a nightmare situation!).

IMO Start with older women as they have a much more natural ability to compose themselves and are often more accustomed to having a picture taken or looking good on demand.

Also IMO, many women have a natural flair for looking good and are much easier to work with than male models as they're more willing to express themselves without self-concious embarrasment. This will help you a lot.

I'd also recommend cutting magzine clippings whenever you see a portrait you'd like - girls are much more likely to ask you what they should do than boys. You need to respond with some direction at this point, so have a clue before you start!

Good luck and post your results for us to see!

Rob

Well, if this helps:
1) There's nothing wrong with hitting on girls, even if you have a camera
2) There's nothing wrong with flirting with girls, regardless of the fact if you have a camera
3) Are you a perv? If so, don't be shy! There's lots of support groups on the internet for alternatrive sexuality!
4) Understand that girls just might be dissapointed by the fact that you're NOT hitting on them.
5) Go out and touch some people, :hug:: if you think that's going to improve your photography. :lmao: (usually results in cooties or some other STD though)

The worst that's gonna happen is they say no and think you really like them.

Hobbes had a pretty good suggestion - if I might add though - have a copy of your portfolio with you. That way you can prove your work isn't smutty.

Best of luck!!!!

robhesketh said:
Just remember that if she's with any other women you HAVE to invite them as well or risk female wrath (oh boy that was a nightmare situation!).
What if you're asking her out on a date, do you have to invite all her ugly friends too? :meh:

Just ask man... or come up, say hi and "hey girls, do you mind if I borrow your friend for a second?"

Do what you need to do and don't let a couple of negative answers stop you. You have to dig though the [something] to find the gold!

Same reason why you don't have a girlfriend.

You don't approach enough girls.

DocFrankenstein said:
Same reason why you don't have a girlfriend.

You don't approach enough girls.

Yeah, well im real ugly, that's why I stand behind the camera! I figure someday, someone...

-----------

And yeah, everyone, those are great tips. I actually just binded together a great portfolio of some of my work (at least I hope it is great!) I never thought about carrying it with me and showing before hand. That really would help.

RickyN29 said:
Plus, I am very shy, something I REALLY have to get over. I've been single my whole life, so I just don't have any real 'human touch' experience which is a necessity in photography!

i got over my shyness as a kid by asking myself "why?" over and over about how i was behaving... i'd be too shy to ask somebody something, and ask myself "why am i afraid?" and think "well, because i don't know how they're going to act and how i will act" then ask myself "what does it matter how you act, is there a set way to act in public?" "no, only trends" etc. etc., point is, when somebody asks you a question, you don't think "oh, how dumb, hahahah, you're dumb and acting weird, weirdo" and neither are they, everybody is nervous

my method is to be frank and honest, if they've got a problem, i have no problem with that, i also have no qualm in asking "why not?", adding sarcasm or a joke here and there in case they're really nervous

what's the worst that could happen?

Not sure where you are located, that may be an issue. When I was in art school, we would contact modeling agencies and ask them if they have models that need testing. Models that do testing are new or want to be models that need photographs for thier portfolio. They are usually very nice and the models should be very willing to add work to thier portfolio. They of course won't pay you but it ends up being multibeneficial. Take a look in your phone book. If you live in Los Angeles like I do, then you don't have a problem.

RickyN29 said:
Yeah, well im real ugly, that's why I stand behind the camera! I figure someday, someone...

A little self-confidence goes a loooong way! And know one can love you till you love yourself, yadda, yadda... :D

As a female, I think I would have been flattered to be asked to pose for some pics. I like the idea of having a copy of the portfolio on you.

You also might try looking for models on Craigslist or Freecycle. An online buddy of mine had quite a bit of success doing that, since people had to approach *him* and the initial contact was at least via phone or e-mail!

I know what you mean though. I'm shy too and have planned on offering to shoot some children's pics but cannot make myself bring it up to the parents...even though I know these people casually.

The shyness will go away in time. All you have to do is initiate the conversation with your prospective model and the rest is down hill.

Here's something I do whenever I have to speak in front of people or sell something or etc... I think to myself: "What is the absolutely worst thing that can happen as soon as I open my mouth? I know what I'm going to say so I'm not going to mess that up. My voice is still there so the words should have no trouble getting out. Now what is their reaction going to be...the absolute worst reaction could be that they say no. I can handle no because by me not asking, no is the answer I already have. So I can either ask/say this and the worst that could happen is that nothing happens...not so bad.

It takes a little time but you can do it. Start trying on your friends. They would be very hard customers and would be more likely to tell you what you're doing wrong when you're asking them.

hobbes28 said:
"What is the absolutely worst thing that can happen as soon as I open my mouth?"
I'm with Rob on that one. :lol:

As with most things, experience/practice is the only way to learn. You need to practice your approach with people/situations that don't intimidate you.

Older women - 50-70yrs. You'll learn everything you need from them. They won't intimidate you (most of the time) but you'll have to stay on your toes to keep up with them. Once you feel your approach is good enough for people with such a wealth of experience you'll have every confidence in approaching anyone.

Most reactions

Back