Why do people buy (d)SLRs ???

The lenses are interchangable?

:no smile:

Yeah i see what your saying :)

I see a lot of people with entry level dslrs these days, more so than compacts sometimes! I think the market is just at that point when people can afford a dslr - and they do so because: a.) it looks more pro and b.) it has the potential to take better pics. But, the likleyhood is that their photography isnt going to improve JUST because they have shiny new camera.

On the subject of lenses, i often just take my 50mm f/1.8 out with me these days... its such a great little lens and doesnt attract the attention of the entire world when you use it!

Dave

Just because you never saw anyone change lenses, doesn't really mean anything. First off, you must concede that because you didn't see it, it doesn't mean it didn't happen.

Well, the stretch of time I am watching SLR photographers now is counted in decades, not many decades, but decades by now.

In that period of time I saw many people urinating on trees, which is supposed a rare thing, but I hardly ever saw someone changing a lens.

[quite]
It's also very dusty, but that is beside the point.
[/quote]

This is why I think twice before I change ..,.

I was just playing devil's advocate. ;)

was replying before I read this!

I shoot with a Conon XT and I only own the stock lens. Not because I dont want a different lens, the stock one is pretty bad. I just can't afford to throw down 500 bucks right now. When I shoot with my film SLR I will usually bring at least two lenses along for the ride. I think people buy the DSLR's because of the following

-if they ever want to upgrade to a new lens, they can.
-Higher resale value.
-Gets out-dated at a much slower rate than a point and shoot.

Who cares? More people buying DSLR's means a bigger market, bringing more competion and lower overall prices for everyone else.

As I said, I never blamed anyone for not having more than one lens :)

-if they ever want to upgrade to a new lens, they can.

That is actually something I forgot about I have to admit! The flexibility for the future ...

Haha! That's SO true! I've noticed that myself over the years. I suppose it just comes down to the fact that dSLR's are becoming so accesible to the "casual shooter" who thinks it'd be cool to have a "real camera". Just a thought :)

This ties directly into the other thread, where a lot of people buy a DSLR so they can own a "real camera" and therefore "take better pictures".

All the wrong reasons of course.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back