Why do people leave?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sweetie, you are doing much better than fine. Don't let the meanies bother you.
They are on the way out. We are working on that right now.

Sweetie, you are doing much better than fine. Don't let the meanies bother you.

Having dealt with a few "meanies" in my life, I'm not to worried...:wink:

I'm new here. Read this thread and think about how it relates to your questions. As a new member, what should I be thinking about now? I'm on many other forums without issues...
http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?p=987912#post987912

Well, to answer your question, as a new member based on your reference you should be re-reading the guidelines for critique which for example involves submitting no more than one photo for each thread. You submitted two.

Secondly those commenting should be providing a photographic evaluation that would help you improve,...not.."I like it." Photographic technique is comments about technical excellence such as exposure (Your shot was considerably underexposed by more than 2 fstops and composition (in need of considerable study and improvement) Critical Analysis is NOT a chat area where comments that are not helpful to other photographers are exchanged either. You contributed to this problem.

Lastly you initially suggested that you wanted a complete critique but reacted negatively to one poster who suggested that you should look at and follow the guidelines.

Newbies to photography should not be posting in Critical Analysis unless they are honestly and genuinely willing to listen to other photographers.
You did not display that willingness related to A. and so you should be not at all surprised at the response. Frankly he was extremely diplomatic but I tell it like it is.

If you would like a better response by experienced photographers on this forum, then READ the guidelines for the forum and take them seriously.
If you are not interested in reading a less than positive reaction, then you are not looking to improve, so don't post. Also one should not suggest that they want all kinds of C. & C. and then react negatively to the first less than positive statement. (A. & guidelines)

skieur

I started this thread trying to get some insight; it seems to have degenerated into a fair amount of whining and threatening

One new poster ipschoser implied that he ws badly used because Abraxas asked a couple of responders if they had read the guidelines for the Critique Forum and this was the ipschoser's response to Abraxas.

Did I miss your screen name when reviewing the "forum leaders" list? It wasn't on there.

Well, yes, it is all our responsibility to keep the forums on track. But Ipschoser wanted to do it his own way and thought that Abraxas was wrong to ask him to go by the guidelines.

Then elsapet told everyone that there were bullies here and she prayed to God they would be gone soon. And then went on to say.

Don't let the meanies bother you.

Now that is bullying.

I would like Elsapet to name who she thinks is a bully or a meany and stop this vague naming and threatening.

The members who participated in that thread were Battou, Skieur and Abraxas, all saying the same thing, that the OP was out of line. If Elsapet think that any of these people are bullies, she should say so. If she thinks that I'm a bully because I actually say what I think and don't think its necessary to treat everyone like a seven year old, then she should say so.

This kind of ambiguous name-calling because you don't agree with someones' behavior is passive-aggressive in the extreme.

[FONT=arial, helvetica] When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.
-- I Corinthians 13:11
[/FONT]

I tend to join a forum to satisfy a thirst for information in a relatively new (or renewed) area of interest, but stick around if there are enough smart, witty, stimulating and knowledgeable people that post once in a while.

So why on earth am I still here? ....

:wink:

I do like to see a bit of humor mixed in with the serious stuff, to me it's a sign of a well-balanced person who isn't going to over-react all the time when there's a disagreement. And the two are not mutually exclusive, for Pete's sake.

I have found this forum very useful in getting my mind back into more serious photography after a dark, dark P&S period. What particularly fascinates me about this place is that there are some very seasoned shooters (including pros) here who don't mind helping people like me out, if questions are sensibly put (aka don't ask them to do all the thinking/research for you) and who clearly love the game enough to put in the time. I greatly respect that.

Compared to other forums I know, this one is rather well-behaved and lightly moderated. This is a good thing. I thank you all - you know who you are. :sexywink:

I don't belong to many online forums. This one I came to as an inexperienced photographer looking for help...BUT I do a lot of searches on this forum first so I do not become repetative in my questions. I know the same questions get asked many times over & over by newbies. I search first and ask later. If I am stumped, I'll start a thread. I don't have the time to get personal.

I belong to 3 other forums and haven't left. The longest is going on 4 years.

"I started this thread trying to get some insight it seems to have degenerated into a fair amount of whining and threatening" quoted from Traveler

I believe that a decision needs to be made in terms of the direction of this forum. Is it to be a true and serious photography site where learning can take place without false praise and unrealistic encouragement for less than adequate work or is to be a "chat line" where we can all congratulate each other for simply pressing the shutter. Any qualified instructor or teacher is taught to avoid false encouragement.

The decision is up to the administrator and moderators but it will determine whether those very experienced photographers who can really give good advice based on decades of experience in all areas of photography stay or leave.

skieur

Ok, let's stop the namecalling. We're adults, not children at recess. Resolving conflicts in a civilized manner can be an easily attainable accomplishment for each and every one of you.

And also, before you post, remember that behind those screen names are real human beings...neighbors, brothers, fathers, aunts, daughters, ect.

This is this thread's official 'keep it civil' warning.

I believe that a decision needs to be made in terms of the direction of this forum. Is it to be a true and serious photography site where learning can take place without false praise and unrealistic encouragement for less than adequate work or is to be a "chat line" where we can all congratulate each other for simply pressing the shutter. Any qualified instructor or teacher is taught to avoid false encouragement.

The decision is up to the administrator and moderators but it will determine whether those very experienced photographers who can really give good advice based on decades of experience in all areas of photography stay or leave.
It can be both. We have sections for each, and they can happily co-exist.

I leave because it takes sooooo long to read the forum, its alot of time. sometimes i come back, then leave. there are alot of other site that are waaaay more active.

fredmiranda is one that is very active

Can't we all just get along.....Sorry, that was way too easy to spit out at this point. During the course of this thread, both sides of the pancake has been flipped and delicately browned. Valid points have been made on the dichotomies.

One reason I come to this forum (nearly daily) is to be able to enjoy adults discussing matters that interest me. I earnestly appreciate direct comments to any photos I post. I have chosen to make those posts fewer and farther between only because I wish to employee that information I have digested during those times of lurking to discover what will make a better photograph.

I also would like to think that my personal C&C has become more constructive by reading what the seasoned and the fresh meat photographers have to recommend to the OP's. I only hope that my observational skills have improved slightly since I have become a part of this community. I truly believe that (at times) sharp, pointed statements about a particular photograph are only beneficial to the OP if it is in the correct forum. If I were to post in The Beginners Forum, I would expect to be guided with gentle hands as to what will improve my skills. This will gently nudge those that are insecure of their skills or more importantly, what one should consider an appreciable composition. However, if one posts in the General Gallery, poster beware. Here is where curb meets the road...road meets the pavement...$h!+ hits the fan, whatever the saying is. You get what you deserve!

The whole point, ineptly being made, is that some people should grow thicker skins in critiques to their photos. Others should think back on days gone by when they didn't know an f stop from a metering mode...and allow some space and time for the absorption of your knowledge to take affect. And lastly, some should not bite back as easily as it would be when an opposition to their advice is not taken or...OH NO!...scoffed. To take offense and commence with name calling is just bad form.

Just my nickels worth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back