Why Do People Make Their Beds?

Since we use duvets, all I do is open them up neatly (folded by half across that part of the bed where the feet are) and leave them like that. I once read that dust mites thrive in closed beds... we don't want them to thrive, now do we? So: no closed beds. Everything airy and cool.

Because it feels SO much better to get into a bed where all the sheets aren't bunched up? And it takes a whole two seconds to do... ;)

Althought... they say that leaving a bed unmade is good. Apparently bed bugs like the moistness you leave in the bed when you get out in the morning and leaving it messy with the duvet pulled back allows it to dry out.
So, tell your parents that next time. :p

gawsh i don't know what you people do in your beds.... but I have never ever seen, met anyone who has seen or experienced these weird bed bugs you're all talking about.

What are they?

They're the famous dust mites. Not really bugs. And they live in each and everybody's mattress. They just do. It is a fact. It has nothing to do with being not orderly or dirty or so. You can't avoid them. But they may stay a reasonable amount or become too many, and for persons with dust mite allergy, they can become a problem if you create an environment for them in which they can multipy by the million per day. As also I read one day (and said here before ferny), a "closed bed", neatly made and with the day quilt on even, maybe, helps create this environment that the dust mites love so.

(and said here before ferny),
Yup, sorry LaFoto. I ddin't see your comment until after I posted. I've got one of thoise headaches where you struggle to take anything in. I'm spending about three times longer than normal correcting the typos I make. :mrgreen: :meh:

Dust mites are different I think, and can only be seen with a microscope. Bed bug you can see with the naked eye. In the photo on that mage you can sort of gauge a size becasue you can see the paterns on the surface of the skin.

Just some more pictures for you.. ;)

http://www.treknature.com/gallery/Europe/United_Kingdom/photo1678.htm
http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/ent/notes/Urban/bedbugs.htm

I'm not actually reading any of these pages by the way, just spamming you with them.

Ugh!
Well, I have NEVER had nor seen any of THOSE!!!
All I know is that thing about the dust mites, and when you see a microscope photo of those, you will find them pretty gross, too!
Anyhow, I have switched from making-beds to leaving-beds-open ... for two reasons:
- to fight the mites
- to be able to spend more time on TPF ;) :greenpbl:

I heard somewhere that they eat the dead skin that is on your body so they are actually good... I'm not sure where I heard that so don't put too much trust in that.... :lmao:

I just like coming home to a neat and tidy bedroom, and that includes having the bed made. It gives the illusion of order and comfort, something I usually need by the time I'm staggering over the threshold in the evening. :lol:

Bedbugs, shmedbugs - as long as we're all cozy together at night.

I have like, 3 sheets nowadays because of winter. And when I sleep, I move around a lot, so, when I wake up, all 3 sheets are messed up. Takes me about 5 minutes to get them all nice and tidy.

So, there are 2 good reasons not to make your bed:
1) Takes too long
2) Less bed-bugs

Most reactions

New Topics

Back