Why do people over value their film gear

Like everyone says, seems to be no standard for pricing film stuff due probably to the limited demand. That collectablend site is somewhat of a guide. Think most folks including me buy stuff because they want it and pay whatever within reason. Paid $30. for a Vitomatic with a small lens scratch and a broken frame counter because it was "mom's camera" and I wanted another Voigtlander. Works great otherwise.

003 (2)sz.jpg

Then you just can't pass these deals up.. Tokina 70 - 210 was another $25. So it all averages out.

I was talking to Pixmedic via PM about his Konica with 57mmF1.2 lens and was it worth getting an adapter to use on his Oly 4/3rd, he thought about throwing it in the trash until i told him to search how valuable it was, they had been going for $700

Earlier this week on TPF a Mamiya 1000 (DTL?) with a 55mm lens and a Montgomery Wards 135mm lens and Montgomery Wards teleconverter kit, with "leather" camera bag (vinyl actually) and allegedly, leather cases for the accessories, was offered for sale at $220.........................
Don't knock the Mamiya 1000, it was my first SLR, built like a brick. Well, the weight was the same and the ergonomics were not dissimilar.
Probably $220 is a bit steep but it must be worth at least $20 and that's just for its scrap metal value.

A Mamiya 1000DTL was my first camera too! Loved that thing, wish I had it back but I've made up for it, I have two, plus a 500, a 500TL, a 500DTL and a NC1000. (Yeah, I think $220 is a bit much too)

It's amazing what some people think stuff is worth. Leicas, for example... I saw a standard IIIc for sale in an antique shop, fake lens, $700. Nothing overly exciting as far as a Leica is concerned. I would have thought $250.

KEH seems to set the standard for prices on old film gear. Their prices tend to be better than Fleabay.

My Hasselblad was $330 for cripe's sake. I love the damn things, but they seem to be a bit overpriced...

There's a camera shop that I stop by occasionally as they deal almost exclusively with used gear. They are famous for severely over pricing their gear. They use KEH to see what they're selling stuff for, and then mark it up from there. I've seen some equipment in that store going for nearly three times what KEH was selling an "EX" condition item for.

When I was looking to pick up a Nikon FE camera I checked there first as sometimes they will have a decent price on something I want. However in the case of the FE they wanted nearly $300 for one in horrible condition. It was brassing all over the body, some of the numbers on the shutter speed dial where barely legible, there were two dents in the top cover, and the viewfinder was so dirty you could barely see through it.

I bought one on KEH for around $100 in "like new" condition. Then just for kicks, I went to said camera shop to see what they would give me for it and they offered me $15 as they said that it's not a popular model.

The sad thing about this particular store is that it's literally the only one around, and is right in the middle of a popular tourist area in the city. The amount of people I've seen go in there and blindly pay these exuberant prices is amazing.

Most reactions

Back