Why do you have a Battery Grip?

I got the Targus grip for my Canon XT a couple months ago, and I love it. I mostly wanted it for the feeling and for the extra battery power (I don't NEED it, but it's nice to know it's there).

With a smaller camera like the XT the grip really enhances the feel of the camera. I like the added weight it gives, and it makes portrait oriented shots much easier. My only complaint is that it makes me really wish I'd gone for the black XT instead of silver.

i use more for extra weight and grip... But i am a realist and take it off when the bulk is unnecessary

With the D300 it allows 8 frames per second versus 6 without it. Plus it is nice for shooting portraits.

I bought one thinking I'd use it, but really haven't had a real need for it. I carry around extra batteries which is easier.
I'm not a dSLR user, but yeah. I assume that you need an extra battery if using a battery grip, thus, the battery grip itself would do absolutely nothing for the "run out of battery issue". If you "run out of battery", you need an extra battery, whether you have the grip and an extra battery installed or not. Either way, you still have an extra battery.

It would be cool to have another shutter button for portrait shots if that is what a battery grip would give you.

I'm not a dSLR user, but yeah. I assume that you need an extra battery if using a battery grip, thus, the battery grip itself would do absolutely nothing for the "run out of battery issue". If you "run out of battery", you need an extra battery, whether you have the grip and an extra battery installed or not. Either way, you still have an extra battery.

It does do something for the battery issue, because there is no time wasted in changing batteries. Both batteries are installed, and in effect you get twice the battery life from one battery. Power is drained from both batteries simultaneously.

I will be getting a grip soon. The main reasons are for weight distribution with long lenses, extra weight for control and extra shooting/control functions for vertical shots. Oh, oh, oh and getting 8 fps from my camera.

The last reason that should be considered is vanity. Scratch that. If someone buys a grip to make them look professional, I have a few acres of swamp land I'd like to discuss with you.

Wow, I'm amazed at the number of people who bought the grip because it "looks" professional. What ever happened to practicality and functionality?

It felt better in my hand. It looks bad a$$ too but that wasnt the main reason.

Freedbaby

I bought a grip for my 40D, because of the size it made my camera. It simply feels better. The professional-look was just an added benefit, but in the same sense...I take off the grip when shooting in a church or something...so not as much attention is drawn my way :).

BASKETBALL - the grips is super for basketball shots. I did a 24-team basketball tournament this winter...taking pictures at each of the games to sell to parents/players (high school)... the extra shutter button and controls came in REAL handy there.

Anyway, I hardly ever take off the grip, I like it so much. In fact, I'm buying a 20D tomorrow, and it includes a Canon grip...which was a huge seller for me.

Why do you have a Battery Grip?

Honestly, I have never ever run out of battery charge while shooting. That includes massive days, with hundreds and hundreds (thousands?) of photos!

Despite that, I am going to buy a battery grip. :) Only because it 'looks' more professional. And being in the world of business now for a while, I've realised everything is about 'looks' and perception.

So why do you have a battery grip?
For one thing, it allows use of AA's in most cases. But the main reason with me, it stabilizes against camera shake, especially when you have one with a clunky shutter like the Max 9000. It also helps to balance the camera when you're using a heavy lens. If the weight doesn't bother you, go for it.

I already have a ton of rechargeable AA's floating around. Already it has come in handy, forgot to charge my battery once and I like the weight it gives the camera. I seen pro's often without them, not sure why they would make you look like a pro? With my two larger lenses it balances the camera weight out so nicely. So for me feel and practicality.

The number one reason for me would be, Portraits. It makes a huge difference when shooting sideways. Second would be I have run out of battery power, especially for weddings. My battery grip has lots of bells and whistles on it. Shutter button aperture dial shutter dial ect ect. So not only does it look cool, but when I turn the camera sideways my screen turns with it and with all the buttons it's like i'm holding it normal. Another would be My battery meter tells me what percentage each battery has left. Not to mention It looks so cool.By far the best investment I have ever made.">

Im off backpacking through thailand, im gonna need a lot of power over several days at a time and the less the insides of my camera are exposedthe less crap will get in them. Also looks mint!! :p

Most reactions

New Topics

Back