Why do you have a Battery Grip?

Wow, I'm amazed at the number of people who bought the grip because it "looks" professional. What ever happened to practicality and functionality?

Yep, and that's why we wear suits to work in 40 degree C heat! Functionality. :lol:

sucks doesn't it., how image plays such an important role.

So why do you have a battery grip?

- Becuase I *can* drain more than 1 battery per day
- Becuase it makes my D200 easier to hold, especially on the portait orientation shots
- Becuase it has convenient shutter button in the portrait mode
- Because it balances the camera better with a heavier lens on the front of it
- It just looks cool

What more reasons do you need?

I bought the MB-D200 at the same time I bought my camera. When I got home, I put it on after about a day of shooting without it... and it's NEVER come off since. Period.

I will be getting a grip soon. The main reasons are for weight distribution with long lenses, extra weight for control and extra shooting/control functions for vertical shots. Oh, oh, oh and getting 8 fps from my camera.

The last reason that should be considered is vanity. Scratch that. If someone buys a grip to make them look professional, I have a few acres of swamp land I'd like to discuss with you.

So you drive an 83 Geo Metro and wear Burlap sacks? You've never bought anything because it looked cool?

At least people are being honest. Thats why it's called an accessory, you can take a picture without it.

If I remember right those grips go for around 200$. I'm sure a 2nd shutter release and more battery juice isn't only worth 200$. I tend to believe people like the image of having a pro level camera. Which most come standard with a built in battery grip.

The number one reason for me would be, Portraits. It makes a huge difference when shooting sideways. Second would be I have run out of battery power, especially for weddings. My battery grip has lots of bells and whistles on it. Shutter button aperture dial shutter dial ect ect. So not only does it look cool, but when I turn the camera sideways my screen turns with it and with all the buttons it's like i'm holding it normal. Another would be My battery meter tells me what percentage each battery has left. Not to mention It looks so cool.By far the best investment I have ever made.">

Wow I've never looked at Sony's dslrs. They have a ton of buttons!

I first bought a grip while I was in the Navy. It was convenient to have juice when traveling from the States to England to Germany to Poland to Russia to etc... without needing current adapters or knowing when I'd get the chance to charge a single battery.

I sold that kit. I'm looking at getting the grip for the 40D now that I find myself shooting a great deal of long exposure stuff (in cold weather). I've easily drained a battery in three hours of outdoor shooting (numerous times this winter).

I like the feel of grips. I find them aesthetically pleasing, and I don't have to fumble about, taking off gloves and digging into pockets, when it's 15 degrees outside to replace a battery.

I hope none of the people giving us crap about the grip "being cool" as one of our reasons have anything other than:

$1.99 watch from Walgreens
plain white sneakers (no name)
and a bus pass.

:lol:

Freedbaby

I hope none of the people giving us crap about the grip "being cool" as one of our reasons have anything other than:

and a bus pass.

Freedbaby

...?
Its just stupid to buy it only for looks, its not like its all that cheap.

I dont have one yet but I think I'll be getting one soon since we do a lot of traveling and it would be nice to have.

I actually have the grip off of my D80 half the time. I bought it in part because it's a smaller and more portable camera to lug around than the D200. And with the grip hooked up, it no longer fits in my smaller camera bags. I have a new lens arrangement now though, so it'll be easier to just take the D40 when I want to go out. I had to play musical chairs with lenses before, and it was easier to just take the grip off of the D80 (which already had the lens I wanted to use) than to swap a bunch of lenses around from the D80 to the D40 and then back again.

The number one reason for me would be, Portraits. It makes a huge difference when shooting sideways. Second would be I have run out of battery power, especially for weddings. My battery grip has lots of bells and whistles on it. Shutter button aperture dial shutter dial ect ect. So not only does it look cool, but when I turn the camera sideways my screen turns with it and with all the buttons it's like i'm holding it normal. Another would be My battery meter tells me what percentage each battery has left. Not to mention It looks so cool.By far the best investment I have ever made.">

dang, that's pretty cool..........

mine came with my camera is the only reason i have one! lol.. i got a bundle deal from a friend. but it's just got a shutter button......... no other bells and whistles........

Yep, and that's why we wear suits to work in 40 degree C heat! Functionality. :lol:

sucks doesn't it., how image plays such an important role.

and a bus pass.

Freedbaby

My whole point is I'm not going to pay hundreds of dollars for a camera accessory because "it looks cool". I will pay hundreds for well-built, well-producing, practical equipment and gear.

So my question to these people who bought the battery grip because it looks cool or professional is, do you buy big lenses and stuff because they look cool and professional also?

It's not the gear alone that makes someone professional, it's knowledge and knowing what to do with it. Not saying I'm a professional but I don't buy things based on image.

Oh, and I actually probably will consider getting the battery grip after I get a 5D - solely for the extra battery power, added counter-balance, and easier gripping for portrait-orientation

My whole point is I'm not going to pay hundreds of dollars for a camera accessory because "it looks cool". I will pay hundreds for well-built, well-producing, practical equipment and gear.

So my question to these people who bought the battery grip because it looks cool or professional is, do you buy big lenses and stuff because they look cool and professional also?

It's not the gear alone that makes someone professional, it's knowledge and knowing what to do with it. Not saying I'm a professional but I don't buy things based on image.

Oh, and I actually probably will consider getting the battery grip after I get a 5D - solely for the extra battery power, added counter-balance, and easier gripping for portrait-orientation

well i kinda see their point..........

if two people walk in claiming to be photographers........

and say you knew nothing about the subject.... they both seem to know exactly the same... both are giving you the same prices....

they pull out their cameras... one pulls out a p&s and one pulls out a dslr with what appears to be a nice lens... and battery pack.....

again you know nothing about photography.... so you don't really know the difference in the cameras.... my vote is you would go with who has the "bigger, better looking" camera..... right?

well i kinda see their point..........

if two people walk in claiming to be photographers........

and say you knew nothing about the subject.... they both seem to know exactly the same... both are giving you the same prices....

they pull out their cameras... one pulls out a p&s and one pulls out a dslr with what appears to be a nice lens... and battery pack.....

again you know nothing about photography.... so you don't really know the difference in the cameras.... my vote is you would go with who has the "bigger, better looking" camera..... right?

Well, I'm sure that happens, but I think most people want to see results. If they have no knowledge about photography, they probably don't care either way what the gear looks like. They just want to see a good portfolio.

I'm just one to let my work speak for itself.

Well, I'm sure that happens, but I think most people want to see results. If they have no knowledge about photography, they probably don't care either way what the gear looks like. They just want to see a good portfolio.

I'm just one to let my work speak for itself.

I don't see why you care so much? People buy fast cars all the time and I bet 90% of the owners can't get use 1/2 of what the car can do. All people here are saying is that looks played a role in their purchase. I'm sure it wasn't the only reason but it was a contributing one. It seems kinda silly to get all worked up about why people are purchasing things. I'm sure you've never bought anything that wasn't 100% functional.

I'm not getting worked up, I just made a comment and someone replied so I replied back, simple as that. I'm not mad or anything, just explaining my point to someone who responded to me.

I am guilty and can say that as a for instance I wear a nice watch not just for its funtionality. I am also thankful that there are others out there, I am in the jewelry business and I deal in something that nobody truly needs.

Basically, its what makes differences in humans....you know the "old saying different strokes for different folks"

But to be back on topic, I love my BG-E2N on my 40D!!!!! I also have the hand strap and it to me is a must. It is worth the extra $25.

Freedbaby

Most reactions

Back