Why do you take Photos?

nukie

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
iced.vanillashots.com
I apologise if this topic has already been discussed on here. I did a quick search and couldn't find anything, so now I'm posting it.

Over the last few days, I've been pondered what appears to be an extremely simple question on the surface, but the more you think about it, the most complex the answer gets ...

Why do you take photos?

Personal Enjoyment? Recreation? Cause its your Job? Explore new ideas? People make you? Otherwise you'd be bored?

So come on, I'm eager to hear why :)

Artistic expression. I don't know any other way to put it. There are lots of different KINDS of photography: we've all snapped the family vacation shots, right?? Smile and say Cheese!! But...then there's something else that compels you to pick up the camera, and THAT is the artistic expression part.

My day job is management, and I think my little soul would wither and die if I didn't have this creative outlet. Sounds a mite dramatic, I guess, but really, it's the truth. I'm in a completely different mindset, almost a different person, when I'm dealing with photography.

For me it is the freedom to express and be creative. Also once the present becomes the past, all that is left is the memories and the pictures. So have a great time with the pic's and always be able to look back and remember those memories.

I have always heard people wish they had more pictures of the past and I enjoy the creative outlet and expression that comes with it.
:wink: :idea: 8)

i think a lot of the time it's something i do to detach myself from things. to separate myself from what's going on around me and simply watch without being a part of it. which is why i rarely take pictures at family gatherings and things. i don't want to miss stuff by being behind the camera the whole time. it may appear to other people like i'm attempting to express myself through the pictures i take somehow and if they can find some kind of deeper meaning behind them that's great i guess, but to be honest, i don't think i make any sort of conscious effort to do so.

i'm not even sure i really explained anything just now. oh well. :p

my grandmother told me once that "everything is easier to deal with when your behind the spotlife instead of in front of it."

peace

md

I enjoy making prints and taking pictures of people.
I love the feeling i get when i create a really good print (8*10 are my favorite).
I really enjoy taking pictures of people and giving them a print and the look on their face and the enjoyment they get from the picutres.
I really dont know how to explain it but i enjoy taking pictures and developing them myself (when i do it, it seems so much more rewarding than if someone else processes it). Perhaps that is why i like b&w more than color.

Good Times :D

For me, photography is an outlet for strress. I love my job, but it is very stressful, and my camera time is one of the things (along with my wife and kids) that keep me sane (using the term "sane" loosely!).

because its fun :lol:

an outlet, a sign of expression, just took a fresh batch today of NYC ... cant wait to see how they came out :D

Photography combines many passions for me. It seems to be both art and craft. I love to people watch. I like to wander aimlessly, looking, searching for what I know not. I love gadgets and equipment.

i dont think ive ever been someone who sees the world as it is.
ive always loved telling stories, looking between the lines, finding the beauty in simple things..im one of those people who watches other people and tries to figure out their story.

you can see the world so differently through a camera...i love the new world it creates, i love the moments it captures and the feelings i get from seeing photographs.

its just in me and i dont think i could stop it if i wanted to, im the same with music and theatre..

You mean there is no pot of gold at the end of the rainbow?
Way to spoil it for me!

I think I do it for the fun in capturing images that most people do not see, or take for granted. Then I taunt them with it! :p

Most of you have already list all reason that come to my mind.

To record my memories and for people to have old pictures look at in 100 years

Most reactions

Back