Why does anybody buy from B&H?

rexbobcat

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I don't understand why anyone would use B&H for anything other than gear research. They're a great company and all, but 90% of their stuff can be purchased from Amazon, and Amazon is so much better with shipping.

I looked at a set of rechargeable AA batteries, and the earliest shipping time is April 13...ten days from now...Whyyyyyy?????

I guess because I reward them for having that gear research...

As for the ten days from now: they are on holiday for Passover. I lucked out and got my exchange done on time...I was holding my breath as I want the filters along on an upcoming visit to family.

Okay so apparently it's because of passover, but even so, rarely are their shipping times short especially for camera accessories.

Like, some things often seem to have a shipping time of over a month. And they aren't even out of stock (according to the website)

I never had problems with B&H, and I had problems with Amazon. So, from my personal experience, I run way from Amazon, and see B&H as a safe harbor. Since 2013 I concentrate my purchases at B&H, always with expedite free delivery, and not a single problem, or return, so far. The only thing that piss me off is the religious observations...

So I guess we all have different experiences with these many stores.

Better prices and wider selection for film than on Amazon.

That makes sense. I was thinking more about lighting equipment. If you need a softbox in a pinch, good luck.

That makes sense. I was thinking more about lighting equipment. If you need a softbox in a pinch, good luck.

Well yeah. I don't think I've ever bought anything from B&H other than film-related stuff. So it's pretty great for me, but if I were looking for studio gear or something, then no, I wouldn't buy from them. But then again, I have no use for studio gear.

But some people are willing to pay a premium to buy from a trusted source, or maybe they don't know any other sources.

One of these days, though, you should visit the store in Manhattan. It's a hell of a thing.

Well yeah. I don't think I've ever bought anything from B&H other than film-related stuff. So it's pretty great for me, but if I were looking for studio gear or something, then no, I wouldn't buy from them. But then again, I have no use for studio gear.

But some people are willing to pay a premium to buy from a trusted source, or maybe they don't know any other sources.

One of these days, though, you should visit the store in Manhattan. It's a hell of a thing.

yeah I used to get their massive catalog which was cool. Since moving to LA, there isn't really a megastore quite as large as B&H, but there is Samy's Cameras and a Leica store. I actually held in my hand $20,000 worth of camera equipment, which is something I never thought I'd get to do. That was pretty cool lol.

The thing about Amazon is that I only buy from it when the supplier is either Amazon or the manufacturer of the product. If it's a third-party distributor: nope.

You're in LA - have you given Freestyle a try? There are 2 brick & mortars in the LA area, and I've never had a bit of trouble ordering online with them. Yes, they cater to the film crowd, but have plenty of digital equipment, studio equipment, etc. I'd love to visit both B&H in NY as well as Freestyle in LA! I've never had any issues with B&H online, either (though I understand occasionally it sets you up for a delay).

Here ya go - Freestyle!

I looked at a set of rechargeable AA batteries, and the earliest shipping time is April 13...ten days from now...Whyyyyyy?????
There might be a couple of reasons.

Passover for one thing, and the merchandise you want could be on backorder.

You're in LA - have you given Freestyle a try? There are 2 brick & mortars in the LA area, and I've never had a bit of trouble ordering online with them. Yes, they cater to the film crowd, but have plenty of digital equipment, studio equipment, etc. I'd love to visit both B&H in NY as well as Freestyle in LA! I've never had any issues with B&H online, either (though I understand occasionally it sets you up for a delay).

Here ya go - Freestyle!

Oh wow I didn't know Freestyle was in LA. I've bought some film from them online. Neat! I'll have to check out their brick and mortar then.

I buy virtually everything from B&H or Adorama (both in NYC)
If you've ever been to the B&H store in NYC, there is a UPS trailer backed up to their shipping dock and that goes out every day.
If I order Sunday through Thursday, I get almost everything next day.

Whenever I get something from BH they send it the next day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most reactions

Back