Why does anybody buy from B&H?

I've ordered from B&H in the afternoon and had my item delivered the next day, free. Also they are great about returns.

The last two weeks I've ordered gear on Thursday evening, and it's arrived Friday afternoon. I live in CT, but still. Even Amazon isn't that fast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have only dealt with them on 1 purchase occasion. It sounds weird, I know.. I ordered a tripod but my fault, it was the wrong 1.
They sent me a shipping label and I paid for return. Ordered the right tripod, and after just practicing with the 90 degree center column, it was scratching itself.
Called, sent back the tripod with their pre- paid label.
All quickly handled, no finger pointing that the tripod is good etc....
But, No one called/emailed to follow up about getting me / replacing another tripod.

Maybe not their issue but I ended up waiting a couple of months, ordered a $475 tripod off Adorama
I did actually talk to someone at some point about my return, and they could have committed me on the spot.

I have to admire anyone who sticks to their beliefs in this day and age, so I get it that they are closed for a religious holiday when they could be making money!!

Because as a KelbyOne member (used to be NAPP) a perk I get is free shipping from B&H.
B&H often has stuff I need/want Amazon doesn't carry.

I have been using B&H for 16 years and I never had a problem with shipping or otherwise. I know what I order is what I am getting and I am not getting hit with sales taxes.When I am impatient, I will get my things from my local shop and suck up a 6.35 percent sales tax.I already pay a lot of property taxes and sales taxes as it is.In the event I have a problem, I just pick up the phone and make a call and I go directly to the source.Its a win win for me.

Last edited:
I buy virtually everything from B&H or Adorama (both in NYC)
If you've ever been to the B&H store in NYC, there is a UPS trailer backed up to their shipping dock and that goes out every day.
If I order Sunday through Thursday, I get almost everything next day.
My experience precisely. Both B&H and Adorama have provided me with great service. And I've received next-day delivery at no extra cost when ordering after 5pm from Adorama!

I buy from B&H and Adorama and have never been disappointed.

B&H is definitely closed for Passover:
Passover Closing
We are not accepting orders at this time

SuperStore & Offices
B&H is closed from 7:00pm EDT on Thursday, April 2 through Saturday, April 11.
We will reopen on Sunday, April 12 at 10:00am EDT.

Online Orders
Online ordering is unavailable from April 3 at 7:15pm EDT through April 5 at 8:45pm EDT,
and from April 9 at 7:15pm EDT, through April 11 at 8:45pm EDT.

Shipping
Orders placed by Thursday, April 2 before 3:00pm EDT are processed before the Passover closing.
Orders placed after this time are processed when we reopen.

I buy from them because it's convenient and easy for me to walk in the door and get what I need.
Same thing for Adorama,Cameta and Berger Bros.
If those 4 shops don't have it,then I seriously doubt I need it.

There are a lot of things that B&H and Adorama sell that Amazon doesn't. When you start looking into specialized grip and lighting equipment you'll find that Amazon either doesn't list it at all or that it's actually being listed by one of the larger brick and mortar stores. For example, when I search for a finger and dot set on Amazon I get a polka dot neck strap/wrist strap combo. When I search for the same thing at B&H the first thing I get is a finger and dot kit. Just try searching on Amazon for a butterfly panel. ;)

There are a ton of Brick & Mortar in SoCal. I use OC Camera. They give me B&H prices, I pay the tax, but no waiting.

Same here. I would much rather just drive ten minutes and pick something up. Most brick and mortar stores will price match these days anyways.

i find many orders are cheaper through B&H. and get here faster.

I bought replacement DK-21 the other day and B&H beat amazon hands down because the DK-21 is only an "add-on" item through amazon, therefore I couldn't even order it.

When I padded me order, one thing wasn't through amazon, so I couldn't even do that.

then there was taxes and shipping on top of that, with B&H beating Amazon in both areas.

Personally, I try to buy locally whenever i can, and prices are generally the same. I like the instant gratification, and if nobody does it, the option will eventually disappear. It's easier to deal with returns and exchanges, plus you can handle gear in person. After that, my purchases go along with value adds. The site with the info and presentation that helps me the most wins. If it is a straight up purchase, with little to no research, then I use Amazon prime. E.g. I just bought the canon 17-55mm f/2.8 and hood locally, but I bought the b+w circular polarizer on amazon. Granted, I was also annoyed by the salesman trying to push ProMaster accessories, but their price was $25 higher and this filter was not in stock.

You do have to watch out for gray market gear online. Amazon doesn't say anything regarding this, but it's probably the 3rd party sellers you rally need to worry about.

I buy from them because it's convenient and easy for me to walk in the door and get what I need.
Same thing for Adorama,Cameta and Berger Bros.
If those 4 shops don't have it,then I seriously doubt I need it.

If you buy a hundred dollars worth of stuff from B&H, you can park free across from their store for an hour, I believe two hours for over two hundred. Right in Manhattan!

B&H is very ethical. Trust is important when dealing with suppliers; especially if you're buying regularly and sometimes expensive stuff.

My very first experience with B&H was when I was buying a Panasonic FZ-200. I had ordered from another company that offered the same price as everyone else, but had a few added items for free and 2-day shipping for free. B&H had a similar deal, but they were closed at the time (a Saturday).

That Monday, the company I ordered from called me on the phone and asked if I would like to include a battery and charger for my camera - the guy said the camera didn't come with that. He quoted me a price that was about 75 bucks higher. I asked for a 2-hour guarantee on that "sale price" and he gave me a code. When I did a little research, I discovered the camera did come with a battery and charger and I was being ripped off. I also found that the company had already charged my credit card with the original amount, even though they hadn't shipped yet.

I called B&H because I'd heard they have real people answer phones that actually know what they are talking about. The guy who answered was very helpful and I placed an order for the camera with him. It also came with the added items - filters and stuff - free shipping and no tax. I got my refund from the other company because I kept calling to pester them.

Since then, I have ordered all my camera equipment from B&H except those few items they didn't carry (my refurbished Nikon D810 came from Nikon and recently, a RRS BH-55 had to be ordered from RRS). If I needed something quickly and B&H was not able to deliver because they were closed or out of stock, I would shop around, but B&H is my go-to store for anything photography and computer (I got most of the components for last year's desktop build from B&H). I only order from Amazon when all other sources have been exhausted.

Jim

Most reactions

New Topics

Back