why does grass appear too green on hdr's

handsomejackuk

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
as topic suggests.. it seems as though all the grass on my pics appears too green.. why is this ??

Because many HDR's have the Saturation cranked WAY too high.... this is one of the reasons many HDR's look more like cartoons than photos...

Because many HDR's have the Saturation cranked WAY too high.... this is one of the reasons many HDR's look more like cartoons than photos...

Exactly.

The only use I had for HDR is to boost contrast. Most programs have an option for contrast only boosting.

Twice as many green photosites on sensors than red or blue so they are more prominent when multiplied on hdr i believe

I always find it is the yellow that gets over-cranked in HDR.
If you desatuarte or darken the yellow channel, the grass becomes much more realistic.

...it don't stop it looking like a cartoon though...

Cartoons can often times look better than Birds, spiders and cats :lmao:

It has some to do with saturation and some to do with how the HDR combines the data and renders it.

Photomatix has a tendency to make grass and natural greens look "neon", while a processor like HDR Expose has its own color engine that helps to keep the initial HDR looking more natural. If you look at a scene done in Photomatix vs. the real thing, the colors are always going to be slightly different - greens are more green, browns are more red. It's not a bad thing. It's just the nature of some software.

HDR Workflow for the rest of us

Most reactions

Back