Why does my camera do this for aperture?

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by a1157814a, Dec 22, 2008.

1. a1157814a

a1157814a TPF Noob!

When I set my camera to 'aperture priory', where I can adjust the aperture. For some reason, when I have the FLASH ON and change the aperture, the shutter speed remains the same. However, when I have the FLASH OFF and change the aperture, the shutter speed changes as well according to how much I change my aperture. Why dose it do that?

2nd question:
    What can I do to focus on the close object? (besides setting aperture to f/4.8 which is the most that my camera allows)

2. reg

reg TPF Noob!

Stuck inside of Mobile with the GTFO Blues Again
    Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    1) the flash sync speed.

2) The minimum focusing distance is the minimum focusing distance and there's really not much you can do beyond that.

3. a1157814a

a1157814a TPF Noob!

I just noticed that my camera had it gone as far as f/4... but it only does that sometimes? I guess depends on what I had on other settings? Why is that?

4. ANDS!

ANDS! No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Get a lens that allows you to focus closer. How close are you trying to get? AP wont really affect this (other than giving you a shallow DOF to work with).

The first answer yo your question is correct. You have your camera set to a 1/60 sync speed. To achieve a faster speed you will have to go into your cameras menu, and change the sync speed to something faster. Be aware, that you can also choose a SLOWER shutter speed when using flash, but you wont be able to choose anything faster unless you use your cameras high-sync flash mode (which allow shutter speeds up to the fastest shutter speed your camera is capable of).

5. Turnerea

Turnerea TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I'm guessing you're using a zoom lens- often zoom lenses will have a variable maximum aperture, at the long end it isn't able to open up as much as it can at the wide end. For example is Canon 100-300mm f/4.5-5.6. There are two fstops listed as max apertures... the first corresponds to the max when at 100mm, while the 5.6 refers to the 300mm end.