Why does my computer want to format my sd card?

RockDawg

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have a Kingston 2GB SD card and it works fine in my D80 and my laptop reads pictures off it fine. But when I put it in my desktop, it complains that I need to format it before I can use it. Has anyone experienced this before? What should I do?

I thought about going ahead and formatting it, but does it matter which file system I choose? What about allocation size? Why does this computer have a problem with it when the camera and laptop don't?

If it works in your D80 and your laptop there is nothing wrong with the card, the problem is more likely to be with your desktop. There is a real possibility that if you format it in the desktop it will not work at all.

As for what is wrong, that is very hard to say. Files on PCs become corrupt, I have developed the habit of formatting and reloading the software on all my computers annually, that avoids a lot of problems like this.

Don't format it with your computer unless it won't work otherwise.. One tip-any seasoned digital photographer formats their card with their camera before every shoot....

I just formatted the card in my camera and took a test shot. My desktop still tells me it needs to format it.

I had the same problem with Vista.

I had an SD card that was formatted FAT32 on a Windows XP system. When I placed it in my Windows Vista system it complained that the card required formating.

I did format it in Vista as FAT32, and now both systems accept it.

Your problem may be more complicated as I am not sure if your Digital Camera will like it ... though you should give it a try.

as long as there are no photos at risk... format it on the desktop and if it doesn't work in the camera, just format it again (in camera). you don't have anything to lose, so give it a shot.

Should I format FAT32 like dxqcanada suggests?

i've actually been having the same problem with my CF card. i'm running vista home premium 64 bit though

I'd stick to formatting in camera, its probably some vista bug not ironed out by MS, as long as you can download your files from the drive/card there should be no problems. H

I'd stick to formatting in camera, its probably some vista bug not ironed out by MS, as long as you can download your files from the drive/card there should be no problems. H

That's just it, I can't get the files off the card and onto my desktop computer. Granted, I can copy them from my laptop, but that's a hassle to have to do that every time. The weird thing is that there never used to be a problem with this card and this computer.

The weird thing is that there never used to be a problem with this card and this computer.

What changed on your computer just before this started happening? A new program added, a security update, a new website visited that may have attached spyware? Something had to change to suddenly cause the conflict.

Don't format it with your computer unless it won't work otherwise.. One tip-any seasoned digital photographer formats their card with their camera before every shoot....

Really? I've never done this in my life. Generally speaking I would usually tell people not to format things repeatedly... why put the additional stress on the card if you don't need to, and what happens if the formatting goes awry and makes the card permanently or temporarily unusable?

Does anyone else do this?

Most reactions

Back