why does photography cost so much?

I'll take the Gallardo please! ;)

Really don't agree with 50/50. Professional photographers, will shoot a bunch of film and only a few will be acceptable. If you think 50% of all the pictures you take are good, then your standards are way too low.

The first thing they taught me in school, the photographers best friend is the trash can. Today, it's the delete key. I shoot a lot, I did with film, and I do now. If 5% of my shots are what I call good, I've had a heck of a shoot.

Don't let anyone get you down. With hard work, a lot of effort and a little luck, anyone can make it in this business, in this country. It's a land of opportunity and a lot of free spenders. Let me tell you a true story. A young man came here from China in the '80's. Went to work in NY at a little Chinese restaurant. Couldn't speak English, couldn't cook, couldn't read. He worked a deal with the owner and slept in a mop closet, worked as much as he could washing dishes, saved his money and now owns a chain of restaurants in NY city. We don't always make the extra step to do what it takes to be successful. Sometimes the steps are not what we had in mind, or they are a little bit higher than we think we can reach. Take that extra step! There is a reason why we are a country of successful people and why the peoples of the world want to come here to start a business. Set goals, always keep those goals in sight. Good Luck and keep taking those steps.

IMO film has not to be expensive (b&w - there are really cheap films and if you can expose and develop them properly it's going to be great). Good lenses aren't cheap but it also depends on what type of lens you want to buy. Russian lenses for example can be pretty good and aren't that expensive (optics are 1st class, body isn't always cream). A good Zorki with lenses and stuff can be cheaper than a Leica lens hood! I got a jupiter 12 (35mm, 2.8) for 20 euros (in mint condition from 1989). it performs really great, it is so sharp, man. Off course there are a lot lenses that are crap, but nowadays if people would shoot more manual stuff it could be cheaper (but I know, 10 fps is cool :D -seriously :))

As far as photogrpahy costing too much... consider this, your girlfriend is costing so much more and there's not very much in lasting or permenent pleasure as a photo hanging on the wall of a gallery, unless you are investing in a future with her.

I can tell you what the long term return on that investment actually is but it would inflame some nice folks who are still very impressionalble and "in love." I can tell you my long term investment has cost me $300,000 these past 9 years in college bills for my 3 kids. Now add in feeding them, clothes, schools, cars, gifts, my home mortgage... it's not what you would call a return at all, see what I am saying here? Perhaps renting would have been a better option instead of the lease plan.

Photography on the other hand is a somewhat better investment. You give it all you've got, sell your talents and see what your true worth is. If it doesn't pan out, no loss, you can sell your equipment to recoup your investmentand get a real job with medical benifits and a retierment plan as well as still find another girl but best of all, you can still do photography as a hobby using noting more than that oatmeal box pinholle camera and maybe make a few bucks from it.

Another angle, we photographers are always looking for angles, is you are spending too much money on equipment instead of film. Equipemnt is nothing more than your tools. Concentrating on the image is what is important. You have to make 100 good images to get one great one although if you are doing weddings and babbies, every image is precious and should sell as if they are priceless. For that, get a good digital and a few good salesman on your side. Otherwise you are changing your hammer too many times to get one nail in. One hammer is more than enough to build a house.

Well I've just come back intothe game after ducking out in the mid '80's so have had to re-kit from scratch. I have no interest in autofocus or digital so I've bought 80's Nikon gear off E-Bay. Whilst these are still fetching good prices, to put it itno perspective in 1982 I paid £120 for a Vivitar 75-205 f3.8 zoom, not even a Series 1 at that! You can pick up the Series 1 now for about £60 and whiulst not new there are some "minters" out there. I think if you stick with film and don't have to have the latest then it is a very affordable hobby, although I can never see me dropping £6k for a digital body unless I win the lottery! i would imagine shooting film need not disqualify yoiu from the paid ranks unless you are press and have to have the image at the printers in the next 5 minutes.

grr guys you say that photography is so expensive, and what do I have to say? I'm a student who earns exactly $50 per month... the rest what i have is a few bucks to have a lunch in my breaks... bucksgiven from parents... and that's all. actually I have 1/3 of canon 350d... and remember that our salaries are still lower than yours so do not complain about cash there!! :p that is just a faoux pas:)

in a pub? in a pub it's about £3 but only when it's Polish Vodka :p if it is other one.. it costs more :D

jstuedle said:
Don't let anyone get you down. With hard work, a lot of effort and a little luck, anyone can make it in this business, in this country. It's a land of opportunity and a lot of free spenders. Let me tell you a true story. A young man came here from China in the '80's. Went to work in NY at a little Chinese restaurant. Couldn't speak English, couldn't cook, couldn't read. He worked a deal with the owner and slept in a mop closet, worked as much as he could washing dishes, saved his money and now owns a chain of restaurants in NY city. We don't always make the extra step to do what it takes to be successful. Sometimes the steps are not what we had in mind, or they are a little bit higher than we think we can reach. Take that extra step! There is a reason why we are a country of successful people and why the peoples of the world want to come here to start a business. Set goals, always keep those goals in sight. Good Luck and keep taking those steps.
what he said. there is nothing unattainable, nothing. no matter which country you are in.
for me, frustration stepped in when I did not have a clear goal. not anymore...

Most reactions

Back