Why does this cost $25,000?

Pffft. It may be the fattest ugliest lens, but it's not the longest. 1700mm is far more practical than 500mm.

Nikkor 1200mm - 1700mm f/5.6-8
picture_3.jpg

Actually come to think of it didn't canon have something absolutely ridiculous too?

Garbz... thats not a nikkor...

[EDIT]
I take that back... It might be... It looks just like the Canon 1200mm f/5.6 lens painted black. NOTE: it is attached to a Canon body. heheh lol

Notice the similarity in the pic below.

http://www.e-fotografija.com/markII/1200mm.jpg

I swear it is a Canon 1200mm... but I could be wrong... the more I look at it the more it looks like a the Canon 1200mm especially since it is attache to a 1 series body.

I have a friend that collects wrist watches... can you imagine spending a few million on a watch?

I take it you'll need to buy a new house to hold one of those. :D Or just build another garage.

I read the Ken Rockwell page on this lens, and as much as I know the people on TPF hate him, it did teach me a couple of things. For instance, there isn't a classic zoom ring on the Sigma; it's more like a compact's zoom where you press buttons and it slowly zooms in and out, secondly, it really is a "hey, look at me!" lens. If you can think of a practical use for it (where you'll actually be able to hold it, mind), then I'd like to hear it. And thirdly, it weighs approximately as much as Scotland.

did anyone notice that the len weight 35 lbs??? I think you need to order a scooter along with it.

A lens that is F2.8 at 500mm requires massive glass. To figure out the size of the aperture, divide the focal length by the maximum F stop. For this lens it has a 179mm apature, which is about 7". Glass elements that big are very expensive and very difficult to make. For example the 70-200 F2.8 only has a aperture of 71mm, and even the 400mm F2.8 is 143mm.

This is one of the main reasons it commands this price. The second being that it is the only lens out there that has these specs so it can command a premium price.

This will be perfect to take pictures of my kids at the park!!! :lmao:

Most reactions

Back