Why don't people like program mode?

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by Senor Hound, May 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Senor Hound

Senor Hound TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    A lot of people on here put down program mode, and I don't get why. Its not an idiot setting, its just as capable as aperture or shutter. With the program shift, you can go to whatever aperture or shutter speed you want (without possibly over or under developing the photo), and its like having both shutter mode and aperture mode on at the same time. I think its a bad idea if you use its suggestion without taking into consideration your subject (and environment), but used in its correct way, I think its far from an idiot setting.

But I'm not a very technical photographer. I understand what the numbers mean, how they work, and from there, I just make the photo how I want it. I don't really contemplate f-stop settings while taking a photo, I just tell myself how shallow or deep I want the DOF, and tune to an approximate setting (I find a few tiny steps of f-stop USUALLY does not compromise the integrity of what I'm trying to convey).

So, can someone who is anti-program mode tell me why they are that way? Am I missing out on something, or what?

2. Battou

Battou No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Because I like taking pictures.

I don't like pushing a button and having a little black box do it all.

On a slightly less personal note.....

Program mode is an idiot setting. In experienced hands it's almost useless, but can be pushed to it's limits, However such a derogatory or otherwise term develops biased on it's application and not it's potential. So as long as dSLRs are being sold to novices who never try to learn how to use the camera and leave it in program mode, the sentiment will always remain that it is an idiot setting because the number of applications sways heavy to the inexperienced side in comparison to the number of those who know how use it to it's potential.

3. Bevel Heaven

Bevel Heaven TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hey Battou, if you are going to call people idiots, you might want to at least spell your words correctly while doing so.... There are at least a half dozen mis spelled words there friend.

I always though "P" was for "Professional" anyways

:sexywink:

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Battou

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'm not calling people idiots, I am merely using the same terminology used in the previous post, and I suck at spelling...always have.

5. Miaow

Miaow TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I use program mode a bit - I rather use that than Auto - It and manual would probably be the main 2 that I use

6. Dubious Drewski

Dubious Drewski TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    What does program mode do anyway? How is it different from green mode? Why would I use it instead of a priority mode? I've never looked into what it is, so I'm seriously asking.

7. Zoolfoos

Zoolfoos TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Wow... this doesn't need to be such a personal argument.

In my experience "P" mode and other such automation can be a very good feature on an SLR. Sure, SLRs are being marketed to a much wider audience now - but that's not so terrible. I work at a newspaper, and a lot of the reporters have SLRs. Some of them don't care much at all about learning the technicalities (they are of the writing tribe after all), and when a dedicated photographer can't make it to something they want coverage of, they have to do it themselves. It gets the job done when all they need is a printable image.

8. Josh66

Josh66 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I want to know too. The only difference I knew of was that you can shoot RAW in program, but not in Auto (green box).

9. Miaow

Miaow TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    With P the camera will set the appeture and speed automatically - but you can change your ISO/whitebalance/exposure compensation/metering mode

With Auto - You cant alter any of those - everythings Auto - Also the flash will automatically operate if it thinks its too dark which can be annoying when you don't want it to :/

You can also change your user defined picture styles using P and you cant do that with auto also.

10. Battou

Photos NOT OK to edit
    That was my understanding as well...If it's incorrect I would very much like to know as well.

*EDIT*
    In other words it operates just like my C-series Kodak at it's maximum manual adjustment, (with the exception of RAW ability).

11. Alex_B

Alex_B No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    On canon SLRs the P mode in terms of automation is very similar to Av and Tv (aperture and shutter priority). I used to use it a lot and I don't think it is an idiot's mode. These days I use the aperture priority or shutter priority mode more often.

It is true, that if you use Av, Tv, or P with the exposure correction, then you are basically setting two parameters, which allows the similar freedom in exposure as the manual mode.

I only use full manual (then combined with spot metering) in complicated light, or when shooting landscapes sometimes.

12. Alex_B

Alex_B No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    In full auto, can you still vary shutter and aperture? in P you can ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.