"Why I Can't Shoot Your Wedding for Free"

Unfortunately, we don't pay 11% or less federal tax rate like the filthy rich do.

Using Year to Date information from my last paystub for 2012, fed, state, FICA, Medicare together took 21% off the top. Double the FICA and Medicare expenses as self employed persons are required to do, you're at 26.5% to taxes! Note that my weekly income is significantly less than the $4000/wedding (per week?, 52 weddings/year?) and I have a significant number of fed and state deductions claimed due to my tax situation.

OK, the OP can deduct documentable business expenses over the year such as depreciation of capitalized equipment, car mileage, miscellaneous expenses such as hardware and software upgrades to accomodate the new Canon 5D3 RAW files, even clothing costs and home office deductions (better have lots of irrefutable PROOF for the IRS!!! (been there, done that!)). Did I mention individual medical insurance costs? If you haven't paid for group-of-one (or family) medical insurance, you don't know what ROBBERY is!!! 10 years ago, at age 55, I was self employed and paid a whopping $755/mo for single medical coverage. If I had a wife and one child as well, $1800 or so, as I recall!

So have we knocked off $300-400 of that $4000 (weekly?) income? If only 1 wedding per 2 weeks, the non-wedding-specific costs will still double ($755/mo ins x 1/4 if weekly, x 1/2 if bi-weekly, etc).

In short, unless one has done 'time' as self-employed, 'pot shots' at various costs associated with self employment can only be treated as fully meaningless.

And by the way, Mleek posted several very informative discussions about pricing and cost of doing business a couple of months ago...http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...-its-not-answer-what-do-i-charge-for____.html
and
http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...g-your-codb-your-hourly-rate.html#post2758677

how about this...

I cant shoot your wedding for free because I don't want to.

Everyone wants to debate the tax rate and the expenses, yet NOBODY has been willing to address the fact that you only pay taxes on net, not gross, nor the fact that even using the numbers given for both taxes and expenses, she's still making 5x the national median wage and whining about it.

Hmm.

Boo F'n hoo...

That's what she chose to do for a living. She can always sell off her gear and go to something else if it's really that bad!

Her website is down, expired, kaput. Anybody know the OP so this can go back up?

When photographers sell their talent and work for cheap ...it gets cheaper and cheaper and that is why it is hard to make a good living today for most photographers. I have watched this process over the last 40 years which is longer than most of you have been on the planet... In the film days before PS you had to nail it so the learning curve was greater .. today it is easier to get started but so many wanting to do photography the opportunities are less. There are a lot of weekend skimmers that try to take the cream off the top without the real commitment of a full time business.......... So when do you do a wedding for free.... when your mother gets married a second time. ....

your picture is really beautiful. it's so lively. as a wedding photographer, you are doing such great work

I hear ya, people are like this with everything though. My mom is a tax accountant and people will come in with the proverbial shoe box full of receipts and then when they get her bill get all huffy about how they could have bought TurboTax for $50 and done it themselves. Yea right

I went through the blog. Did you really click those pictures?? I loved it. Fabulous job. :) Definitely, you can shoot my wedding for free. :D

Most reactions

Back