Not open for further replies.

benjikan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
flower-gothlolipurpleumbrella.jpg
Why I HATE Umbrella Lighting…

If you want to get me to fall a sleep, just show me some images shot with umbrella lighting. Now I am not talking Richard Avedon, because Richard Avedon did a lot more than capture images with a single umbrella, he captured a moment that is so his signature, that anyone else attempting to copy would be dwarfed by the sheer magnitude of what Avedon accomplished.

Umbrella lighting is the ‘WalMart’ or the ‘Ford Pinto’ of lighting for me. It is the horrible gig at the Holiday Inn, where some dried up ex alcoholic is attempting to make a come back singing ‘I will Survive” to a bunch of totally miserable accountants congregating for their annual convention.
Umbrella light is that really bad hair do or dress that can only be seen in some totally kitsch boutique in Boise, Idaho. It is that Wedding photo that we have all grown to, ah, hmmm, Love?

It smacks of hey, I am now a photographer because I now own a couple of studio lights and have to have this because if I don’t I won’t be considered credible and it will impress anyone who doesn’t know any better and the bigger the better types…

Ah, give me that umbrella to be very, very safe and to not upset the REAL serious photographers out there that believe that you have to have a reflector to kick in some light in to “THAT” shadow area, otherwise it is NOT a technically good image.

What is even worse is that those who MUST HAVE an umbrella, will almost certainly have a…”Da Da, a Soft-box!!!” Now THAT is really impressive. Every time I see a set up with a soft-box and the “UMBRELLA” I pop the proverbial CHUBBY and have to sit down, as to not expose by excitement.
Now, if somebody were to say to me, “Hey check out what I did with this umbrella!” that would totally blow me away, I would be so F’ing pleased. But at this point in time, I have seen nothing but flat, boring, pedestrian, predictable, unassuming, dull and flat out knock me out with a VALIUM the size of a HOCKEY PUCK images.

Hey, but who knows. Given that surprises do happen, I’m open to the possibilities.

Surprise me.

http://www.benjaminkanarekblog.com/?p=814

What light modifiers do you use? It's great that you call everyone that uses an umbrella an idiot for the most part, but you don't offer much in the way of advice on what light modifier you think is the best. Kind of a pointless post, unless the point is to come off as a crass angry man with a chip on his shoulder.

I personally don't use umbrellas because I find the light to be too harsh. I do, however, use soft boxes, beauty dish, grids, barn doors, gels, reflectors and other modifiers. It seems you've taken a shot at a few of these items as well.

So, since we're all a bunch of incompetent neanderthals wallowing in the muck at your feet, please enlighten the unwashed masses as to what light modifier we should use to gain your approval vs. just telling us how unprofessional and boring we all are.

By the way, after reading 6 paragraphs if your rambling post you never did get to the point of the subject - that being "why you hate umbrella lighting". All you've done is tossed a slurry of insults and innuendo around.

What he said. ^

Thanks for actually teaching us absolutely nothing.

Not only did he not explain why he hates it or what methods he's using. He has also posted this in the beginners section! Most of us are not pro's and I'll bet half of us in this section have just picked up a camera within only the last few years. Most people in the "Beginner section" are here because were experimenting with what we have and are using different methods of lighting and see'ing what affects it gives us.

Just because you dont like it, does not mean I wont!

Not only did he not explain why he hates it or what methods he's using. He has also posted this in the beginners section! Most of us are not pro's and I'll bet half of us in this section have just picked up a camera within only the last few years. Most people in the "Beginner section" are here because were experimenting with what we have and are using different methods of lighting and see'ing what affects it gives us.

Just because you dont like it, does not mean I wont!
He kind of does these hit and run type posts. Another one I thought was odd for the Beginners forum was him showing off shots from a professional/paid model shoot. Something that clearly doesn't belong in here.

My intention in this post is not meant to be arrogant or insulting to any of you. All I am suggesting is a different approach that might give you your own mark that will enhance your identity. I wasted a lot of precious time when I started this profession and wanted to shake your comfort zone enough to consider other possibilities. There are a multiplicity of light sources. Just be open to the possibilities. That is why I chose the beginners section. This post was not focused on any particular user. I was speaking rhetorically.

What systems do you use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back