www.nickandv.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
bird1.jpg

bird2.jpg

bird3.jpg

bird4.jpg

dolphin.jpg

I think I made out alright but these things are heavily cropped!

Now I really like 4 - really great lighting on that one and an amusing look from the bird as well :)
Looks like you have a good solid technique - and now you need a longer lens! You could use a 1.4TC on your 70-200mm and get very good results still - a 2*TC might do you decently well also, shots will be softer, but you appear to have very good lighting so it might still be a usable combo at times.

A Tamron 1.4X or 2X teleconverter would cost you one or two stops respectively. And only set you back less than $200. A lot cheaper than a 400mm f/4 lens.

I have used the 1.4X on my 70-300VR 3.5. Didn't do too bad. But I wished I would have started with f/2.8 glass on it.

yeah I'm in Florida for another month, so i just ordered the 1.7tc got it for 325 so not too bad.

That will hold me over until I figure out what want. I like the fast glass so i am looking at the 400mm 2.8 but that price tag is a lot to chew on!

the Tamron 1.4 was $109, and the 2.0 could be had for under $200

the Tamron 1.4 was $109, and the 2.0 could be had for under $200

ya, I know but i have this branding problem :confused: i only buy nikon cameras and Sony computers. I know there are faster/cheaper ones but i can't bring my self to do it, and 1.7 is as high as i dare to go the 1.4 wouldn't be that much more increase (40%) and the 2x has neg reviews on the 70-200 2.8.

If I were you and the price of the New 400 f/2.8 scares you.

Look to pick up a used manual focus 300 f/2.8. On your D300 you can set the camera for the lens and save it. You get full metering capabilities. Match that MF 300 with a 1.4x or your new 1.7x and now were talking business for wildlife shots. The lens being manual focus is not that big of a deal. Preset it for hyperfocal and you will probably get 80-90% of your shots without touching the focus ring (birds anyway).

I had a Nikon 300 f/2.8 AF-D that was stolen. I didn't have the cash to replace it so I went with a used Tokina 300 f/2.8 MF lens. Been using it for several years now. And one of the reasons I chose the D300 over the D90 was the options to use the D300 with full metering capabilities with MF lenses.

You can pick up used MF Nikon 300 f/2.8 for about or less than you paid for your 70-200. If you go to a used Tokina / Sigma / Tamron route half of that right now. Since you like the branded lenses. I saw a very good Nikon 300 f/2.8 MF go for $1,380 not too long ago. I almost bid on it, even though I already have the Tokina. Cooler heads prevailed though.

ya, I know but i have this branding problem :confused: i only buy nikon cameras and Sony computers. I know there are faster/cheaper ones but i can't bring my self to do it, and 1.7 is as high as i dare to go the 1.4 wouldn't be that much more increase (40%) and the 2x has neg reviews on the 70-200 2.8.
Nikon and Sony love you.

Nikon and Sony love you.

yeah but i don't like Sony right now! my ps3 just bit it and they won't let me take it to the factory store i have to mail it back to get warranty work! but i still love their products! 2 sony laptops (one that i have had for 8 years and it's still kickin) ps2,ps3,psp, 2 digital P-n-S, dream system, and i don't know how many sets of headphones (3 in my travel bag alone)!

I have been very happy with my Sigma 1.4 and my Sigma 2X with my Sigma 50-150 f2.8 and my Sigma 100-300 f4. Neither of them cost me much on ebay. They are really seriviceable (although the 1.4 has better IQ). I've even tried stacking them occasionally, but that really slows things down and only useful in bright light ...

I'd love a long/fast f2.8, but they get really pricey :) I guess I'll spring for that if I ever can afford a photo safari to some exotic place ....

Most reactions

New Topics

Back