Why I shoot in Auto ISO with birds....w/pics

I don't go to the menu. I can hit the Q button with my thumb and rotate the dial on the back with the same thumb and set EC. This way I'm not setting up and custom functions and can still use those buttons and dials as they were intended.

Yes, Auto ISO has become more and more viable as sensors have grown better. With slower zoom lenses, using Auto ISO makes a lot of sense. I tried it first in the summer of 2014, and was immediately enthused with how well it worked under tricky shooting conditions. My sense is that Auto ISO's actual implementation differs a bit based on the manufacturer, and the camera model/era, with "some" cameras allowing dead-easy exposure compensation in Auto ISO in Manual mode, as well as "some" camera models/generations allowing upper and lower limits, and in a sense, a more-complete or less-complete set of parameters that Auto ISO will use.

Years ago, like 10 years ago, Nikon's Auto ISO was well behind the system Pentax had developed; Pentax actually had an actual Auto-ISO centric camera control dial position which was designed to allow the user to pick a shutter speed and an f/stop, with the camera automatically selecting the right ISO level; at one time, that system was simply unheard of from any other maker. Nikon basically shifted to that capability, but without the dial-specific exposure mode, just allowing full auto ISO in Manual mode.

Pentax has a different way of doing things.Manual Mode there is no Auto ISO but In TAV (Time Value - Aperture Value) You control the shutter and aperture while having Auto ISO.However with Exposure Comp Override will In increases or decreases the ISO other then what camera picks. Another press of Exposure Comp and Green Button reset Zeros the Comp and back to Auto ISO that the camera picks.Thats the mode I lived In with Auto ISO quick over ride and reset.I recently sold off everything awaiting the Nikon D500 but will miss many things about the Pentax way other then the the AF-C focusing.

Last edited:
bulldurham said:
I used this technique yesterday for better captures of head on fast movers and was pleasantly surprised that I was quite successful.

Pretty sure TPF's coastalconn, aka Kristofer Rowe, used Auto ISO with EC when he was shooting a Nikon...and he shot a lllllllllot of bird photos. Not sure on how he's handling his current Canon-camera bird photography though.

bulldurham said:
I used this technique yesterday for better captures of head on fast movers and was pleasantly surprised that I was quite successful.

Pretty sure TPF's coastalconn, aka Kristofer Rowe, used Auto ISO with EC when he was shooting a Nikon...and he shot a lllllllllot of bird photos. Not sure on how he's handling his current Canon-camera bird photography though.
LOL, thought my name might popup in this thread. Yes indeed, used it with all my Nikon's and it was one of the first questions I asked when snooping around about the 7Dm2. So yes you can use EC with the 7dm2 and I have it setup like Jaca above. Set button and dial. I almost always shoot in manual mode with spot metering and go up in EC as the light goes down. It is one thing that bums me out about the 1D4, no EC in manual. So depending on the light, I either shoot in full manual, TV with EC since the 500 F4 is pretty much sharp wide open and the camera tends to stop it down to F4.5 anyways, or manual with Auto ISO when the light is pretty decent.

Ah, the missing link for my idle brain...EC..of course.
there's a whole thread about EC from last month as it works differently between Canon and Nikon. ==> Exposure compensation explanation/help
I read through that thread and there is nothing in there specifically about wildlife. Shooting inside buildings, people and landscape I can agree it is not nearly as useful as wildlife. Those genres are all somewhat controlled environments.. Take this shot for instance..
Osprey Two-fer 8_17 7 by Kristofer Rowe, on Flickr
Where the Ospreys were diving was directly into the sun and the exposure changed depending on where they dove in relation to the sun. After so many mornings of tinkering I found that +1 2/3 EC with spot metering would give me the exposure I needed. Unless you are incredibly talented in full manual and can change your ISO at 6 FPS then many from this series would have been missed. You never know where birds are going to come from and I can quickly change EC if one appears behind me instead of trying to raise the ISO by 3 stops or more. Someone called it a crutch in that thread you linked to, I would love to take them out for one day and shoot what and where I shoot and see who has more keepers :)

"After so many mornings of tinkering I found that +1 2/3 EC with spot metering would give me the exposure I needed"

And as long as I have been shooting, this should have been a no brainer....but then shooting auto ISO should have been as well....love it when this old dog can learn a new trick. Thanks, Kristopher for the insight and wonderful photos you continue to produce...this two-fer shot is as good a shot as I've ever seen.

Except I just discovered EC won't work in M exposure mode on the Nikon D810. Will tinker between shutter and aperture priority modes with the auto ISO feature enabled to use the EC controls.

Except I just discovered EC won't work in M exposure mode on the Nikon D810. Will tinker between shutter and aperture priority modes with the auto ISO feature enabled to use the EC controls.
It should. Every Nikon camera I ever shot including the d800 could do EC in manual.. IIRC hold the +/- and turn the thumb wheel?

I would love to take them out for one day and shoot what and where I shoot and see who has more keepers :)

It wasn't me that said it but I would really enjoy going out and shooting for a day (or five) with you. [I think I will do it your way, so I get plenty of keepers, as you seem to have some great results.]

Well, Silly Me must have done something wrong the first time because it worked just fine a few minutes ago..not the most exciting bird to shoot but always handy around my house.

ring-bill-2.jpg

It should. Every Nikon camera I ever shot including the d800 could do EC in manual.. IIRC hold the +/- and turn the thumb wheel?

Nope unfortunately that's untrue I have a Nikon d7000 and thought my camera was faulty because I couldn't change the exposure in Manuel mode, took it to Nikon and they said you can't change it in Nikon you change your exposure meter by changing your ISO.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back