Why I wish we still did weddings...

terri

Administrator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
For several years my husband and I were shooting a LOT of weddings. Here is a sampling of some of our stuff. We used at least 3 cameras: a Mamiya RZ67, a Rolleiflex, and a Pentax ME for high speed B&W.

We were just getting good when he started wanting his weekends back, we did fewer and fewer till he started turning them down. It's been a few years now. :)

Rings.jpg

Reflecting.jpg

TheRingBearer.jpg

Father-DaughterMoment.jpg

gazebosilhouette.jpg

Downtheaisle.jpg

Bridalwish.jpg

TheVanishingCongregation.jpg

:drool: that last shot is stunning! I bet there are some bride and grooms that wish you still did them as well! I love the gazebo, too! Any thought to just doing a few a year?

Thanks!! They went nuts over that shot.

We actually got a call recently from the bride in the gazebo shot - they got divorced and she wanted us to do her second wedding! :lol: Enough to make ya cynical, isn't it??

He turned her down. I told him he was nuts, since she trusted him already (which can be hard to overcome sometimes) but he just wasn't into it.

Silly boy. We did one recently, all B&W, as a wedding gift for friends. We had a blast, and he felt none of the prior pressure since it was all friends. But I don't know if that'd ever be enough to get out there and hustle for them again. :)

Yes, the last one is a beaut.

Reminds me of the first picture in this page.

Great work. I mentally have to prepare myself for weddings and only do a few a year. Could not stand loosing my weekends to much, but the pay is really good.

Eric

Yep, the time demands got to be a bit much, even though we liked the checks. ;) Once the fun factor is outweighed by the hassle factor, all bets are off. Glad you liked them!

Those are beautiful Terri! I liked the gazebo shot best I think, and then... LOL.

They are all great.

Terri, I dont suppose you remember how long the last shot was for? Its a really nice picture.

If you shoot enough weddings, you could live off of the income and the middle of the week will become your weekends *smiles*.

siv said:
how much do weddings usually pay? do they mind if you shoot digital?
Free to $25,000 and above; depending on the market, one's expertise and confidence.

Generally no one cares what you shoot with. But there are clients who seek film. Names like Monte Zucker, Dennis Reggie and host of other prominent photographers shoots digital and Medium Format film at the same time.

I've only had one client ask and that's because she had an uncle who was in the business. There are some people who think digital is only small point & shoot style cameras so when they see a DSLR they tend to assume it's film :lol:

A guy that was interviewed in the rangefinder magazine gets like $50,000us a wedding. :0)

How much you make depends on your market, and what the competition charges.

Something to keep in mind is its not pure profit. Apperantly it takes about 40 hours to do a wedding, from meeting with the couple, doing the wedding, working on the pictures, showing the pictures and getting them to pick some, then making thee album, etc. The albums can be very expensive, and the prints can add up fast. If you shoot film, the film, developing, scanning, printing is all expensive. Then theres backup gear and the main gear to keep working, insurred, insurrance for the wedding itself incase you mess up and they have to reshoot it, or if the bride gets hurt following your directions, etc. It will also depend on what quality of products you offer. If you go cheap, youll save money but you may get a reputation for using cheap albums, etc.

GerryDavid said:
Terri, I dont suppose you remember how long the last shot was for? Its a really nice picture.

If you shoot enough weddings, you could live off of the income and the middle of the week will become your weekends *smiles*.
Sorry for the late reply, Gerry, I am just now seeing your post! :) I am *pretty* sure we used 100 speed film here, since it was a time exposure...probably Plus X. And we blew off several shots while the folks were shuffling out, so I am giving you a best guess here. ;) Let's say it was probably in the range of between 20-30 seconds, maybe a few seconds added on for loss of film speed due to the longer exposure. Sorry I can't be more specific.

Thanks for the kind words on the picture. :D

I've done one wedding. It will probably be my last. I did it for my fiance's sister. It went really well, and the shots turned out great, but after the fact was a doozy. She couldn't understand why i wanted to keep the negatives. I told her she was welcome to borrow them any time she needed to etc. She borrowed them and kept them for 6 months--despite repeated requests for them back. I finally have them back now, but only after her mother asked for them so she could make copies and gave them back to me instead of her. Uggh.

I demanded my wedding be done in digital and paid extra to get copies of them on DVD. He was a bit miffed because he knew I intended to do some crops and things myself. LOL. Can't understand why anyone would want film.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back