Why I wish we still did weddings...

A lot of people still want film and will insist on it. I think it's nice to be able to offer shared online photos and sometimes you can get those quicker results with digital, if there isn't a lot of post processing involved. But you can do the same thing with scanned negatives. And for those super enlarged bridal portraits, the ones some girls plan to have with a gilt-edged frames and perfect lighting ;) you must have MF, no question.

Wedding.... aughhhhhhhhh! I find I have to start doing more. Most of my work has always been product/advertising. In recent years, the market is drying up in my area. Business move, are bought, close down.. whatever. I'm not loosing clients, they're just not buying as much.

So... back to more "people" work for me. I usually do just a few weddings each year (maybe 4-6), but plan to increase this year. In my market area, I can offer weddings starting at $1650. They usually spend more. I don't stay all day. I start about 90 minutes before the ceremony and go into the reception for an hour or so. I make about 130 proofs... nothing fancy, just traditional stuff.

I think I have to start doing more of the "journalism" type work if I'm gonna increase sales. I still bring the film camera, but use it less and less each time. I bring an assistant to help carry gear, but I do all the shooting. All hand-held stobes or available light.

For the $1630, I deliver 24 5x7s in an Art Leather album. This is going up this year by at least $150. I haven't raised prices in years. I didn't bother since I do so few.

I hope this info is helpful. I'm glad to share more if there's interest.

Nice pictures. I had to laugh (hard) at the wonderful 80's poof! Thanks for sharing.

I've only had one client ask and that's because she had an uncle who was in the business. There are some people who think digital is only small point & shoot style cameras so when they see a DSLR they tend to assume it's film :lol:

This is true. People think this of my DSLR all the time. Maybe cause I look THROUGH the viewfinder it confuses them! :lmao:

Most reactions

Back