Why is a 20D TWICE as much as a 10D?

Senor Hound

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've looked at it, and the 20D has a lot of cool features, but its almost twice as much used as a 10D. I'm thinking about getting a 10D to learn on without spending a lot of dough until I know what I REALLY want (40D or 5D or Rebel, who knows?) Besides, if I can't get it, I can't have anything. And I wanna DSLR! :)

But, for you Canon folk who have been around to see both of these Cameras come out, what makes the 20D twice as good as the 10D?

I don't have either one of these - but the 10D is older than the 20D - Like most cameras if you price them the older model (used or not) are going to be cheaper than the newer ones with better features

I found a bit of a comparison on a few points between the 2 models which may help on why the 20D is more expensive. The below figures are from the DPReview review on the 20D. http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos20d/
For comparison this is the url for the 10D review http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos10d/

EOS 10D - February 2003 - 6.3MP, 7 point AF, Continuous (JPEG) 3.3 fps, 9 frames
EOS 20D - August 2004 -8.2MP, 9 point AF, Continuos (JPEG) 5.0 fps, 23 frames

Because it's twice as new, and not an antiquated relic. Plus at this point you can guarantee most 10D are probably getting closer to the point of shutter failure or have been reconditioned.

In addition to the 5fps vs. 3fps and 7 vs. 9 AF points, you also have a newer Digic II processor on the 20D, higher flash sync speed(1/200th v. 1/250th), faster shutter speed(1/4000th v. 1/8000th), E-TTL vs. E-TTL II, 20D is .2 lbs lighter. All things that add up. I'd take the 20D over the 10D just for the 5fps and the 1/250th flash sync speed. Garbz probably has the best argument though.

The 10D was my first DSLR and I still have it. It is a good camera to learn with. I made the jump to the 40D so I can't comment on the 20D but wouldn't hesitate to tell you if you have the cash, to get the 20 over the 10. It took me less than a year to push the 10D to its limits and the 20 will serve you longer before before you want to upgrade or maybe you will not want to upgrade and thus you will have the better body to begin with.

As stated above you need to consider shutter life and the DIGIC II proccessor being greatly superior to the 10D's proccessor.

I have been following many of your posts and I see your are researching carefully and asking the right questions. Keep at it and research the answers you get in these forums and I'm sure you will make the right choices in the long run. Good luck.

The 10D was my first DSLR and I still have it. It is a good camera to learn with. I made the jump to the 40D so I can't comment on the 20D but wouldn't hesitate to tell you if you have the cash, to get the 20 over the 10. It took me less than a year to push the 10D to its limits and the 20 will serve you longer before before you want to upgrade or maybe you will not want to upgrade and thus you will have the better body to begin with.

As stated above you need to consider shutter life and the DIGIC II proccessor being greatly superior to the 10D's proccessor.

I have been following many of your posts and I see your are researching carefully and asking the right questions. Keep at it and research the answers you get in these forums and I'm sure you will make the right choices in the long run. Good luck.

It seems to me the processor is a lot of it. And the 10D can't take the EF-S lenses! It seems a bunch of small improvements really made it a better camera, and the price after looking at it seems right.

Well, 20d is awesome, but I'm just not there yet. Plus I'm a little apprehensive about spending $450 on a camera. That's a lot of dough for me (two weeks worth of work, to compare). I like the photos both take, but I also know what I REALLY want. And as Big Mike told me in another thread, get what you want the first time or you'll be kicking yourself later.

Thanks for the replies. If anyone else has anything to add, please say it, as I will still be checking back in.

Yeah, you're on the right track, Senor. Just don't forget to get off the train when you get to your destination!
What's your game plan, if I may ask? In what time frame do you expect to get your new equipment?
And do you already have some projects in mind you want to do with that new gear when you get it?

The 20D is/was a great camera in it's day...it was a huge step up from the 10D that it replaced. The 30D was basically a 20D with a face lift, so the 20D technology was current for several years.

Yeah, you're on the right track, Senor. Just don't forget to get off the train when you get to your destination!
What's your game plan, if I may ask? In what time frame do you expect to get your new equipment?
And do you already have some projects in mind you want to do with that new gear when you get it?

No plans or goals. I am free-flowing with photography, really. I know I want something that will really get a good shallow DOF, as my Panasonic Lumix just can't do it. I really don't know how serious I'll end up getting, which is why I don't want to spend a lot. I have a feeling I'll end up being ecstatic with whatever I get, though.

I will say that I'd like to try out some portrait photography, but I have no idea how to I live in the middle of nowhere, so the nearest modeling agency is probably about 100 miles, or maybe even 250. I need to move. I live in one of the best spots ever for wildlife or landscape photography, but neither one of those trips my trigger, really.

I just picked up a 20D for $425 as a back up body. Nice camera. I don't think they are twice the price of a 10D are they? I thought the 10D's are about $300 now...

I've used the 10D before on a few occasions.

It handles great, but it's excruciatingly slow, enough so that it gets in the way of shooting pictures.

I've used the 10D before on a few occasions.

It handles great, but it's excruciatingly slow, enough so that it gets in the way of shooting pictures.

Yeah you hit it here. The 20D is certainly more responsive than the 10D.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back