Why is everything bright/Terms?

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by Vilatus, Dec 18, 2017.

1. Vilatus

Vilatus TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Hi everyone, first post here! I need a little help with my camera.
    I have a Nikon D3300, and everything is coming out super bright when I try to go outside with it. I adjusted the white balance so that it was set to direct sunlight, but it doesn't help. Everything comes out like I'm trying to take a picture of a flashlight. I tried turning active D-lighting off as well, and it did nothing either. Its snowy outside, but that shouldn't be an issue should it? I intend to mostly do pet photos, but I would like to take it on the go sometimes.

Also, if anyone could explain the technical terms of my camera to me that would be wonderful... I'm a total newbie, I just bought this camera because I've known I wanted to do photography for a while and this was highly recommended for beginners everywhere I looked. I'll insert a picture below of what I'm talking about. Any advice is welcome, thank you!

Attached Files:

2. astroNikon

astroNikon 'ya all Bananas I tell 'ya Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Do you have a picture that is coming out really bright,
    rather than just the settings ?

and yes, snow reflects light really well. So it can cause issues but we need to see a photo to help you. But the 1/40th second and high ISO probably is a primary issues.

3. Braineack

Braineack Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    you're shooting in M mode, with settings that would be VERY bright in the sun.

you basically told your camera the capture the amount of light necessary for a dim scene, then when you took the picture you have MUCH more light that your camera was ready to collect, so it blew out the image.

if you really wanna get technical: EV - Exposure Value, EV chart, calculator

Last edited: Dec 18, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. JonA_CT

JonA_CT TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    You're letting an absolute metric ton of "light" into your sensor at those settings.

For a bright sunny day, you need a faster shutter speed, a smaller (larger F) aperture, and lower ISO setting.

5. Vilatus

Vilatus TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I was trying to take a picture of the tree in my backyard. Its literally just white. I put it in Landscape and it worked fine though, I'm just an idiot, oops.

6. Vilatus

Vilatus TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Oh, ok! That explanation helps a lot! Could you possibly explain to me what I'd use each mode for? Again, I'm totally new to all this- my most recent experience was with a 8 year old Sony Cybershot haha...

I don't know if you need a picture of my camera's switch to explain or if all of them have the same general settings, but here's one just in case.

Attached Files:

7. Vilatus

Vilatus TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Ok, thank you! I'll write this down as a note to myself!

8. JonA_CT

JonA_CT TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
  9. Vilatus

Vilatus TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
  10. astroNikon

astroNikon 'ya all Bananas I tell 'ya Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    as you learn more about the Exposure Triangle you'll learn that your settings should be been something similiar to:
    ISO 100
    Shutter 1/128
    Aperture f/6.3

In (M)anual you have to control each of those settings. In AUTO, the camera controls everything. In Aperture Priority (AP) the camera controls ISO and Shutter and you control Aperture. In Shutter Priority you control Shutter and the camera controls the ISO and Aperture.

In Manual you have to learn the Exposure Triangle and how it works to get shots properly. It takes time to learn but it's well worth it.

In brief, the ISO 3100 made the sensor amplify light a lot, which made it bright. The 1/40 shutter allowed too much light into the sensor which also made it even more bright. So your image could be completely blown out.

In Manual you can control and fiddle with each of those settings to get the proper exposure that you want. Or take a photo in AUTO and then looks at it's settings and replicate it in Manual to use that as a baseline.

• Like Like x 2
  11. KmH

KmH Helping photographers learn to fish Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    RTFM - Read The Furnished Manual.
    Page 4 will show you the page numbers with info about each shooting mode.

12. petrochemist

petrochemist No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit

Auto is the one where your camera decides for itself & will ignore your input even with such items as white balance (not much good for any creative work or learning)

P is similar but allows you to change the settings. Not bad for standby...

A is where YOU decide the aperture (controls the opening through which light enters) wide openings/low numbers give quicker exposures but less depth of field. The camera will (try to) pick an appropriate shutter speed.

S is where you decide the shutter speed & the camera tries to pick the appropriate aperture.

M is where you fix aperture & shutter speed over riding the camera to get exactly what you want.

ISO on all of these four can be fixed by you or in many cameras left on auto giving the camera the ability to control an extra variable.

P, A & S will usually get a photo of some sort even if you put a badly chosen value in as your setting.

• Like Like x 1