Why is everything bright/Terms?

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by Vilatus, Dec 18, 2017.

1. Designer

Designer Been spending a lot of time on here!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Congratulations on the new camera! After you get some of the basics down, you will enjoy photography.

There are some very basic "rules of thumb" that you could learn, but for now, just concentrate on learning your camera.

Beginners can jump right into "manual mode" right away, but IMO you'll have a long learning curve unless some experienced photographer is at your elbow mentoring you as you go.

Do this: Set your ISO to "auto" (in the menus). Set your mode dial (on top) to "auto". Go outside and take a picture.

Now, look at what your camera set for those conditions. My guess it will be something like f/11, @ 1/1000 of a second (or thereabouts). Now you have a starting point for the next time you want to try manual mode. Whatever the settings were, is but a good starting point. If there is snow and bright sunshine, you should override your camera's settings just a bit, to cut back on the exposure, but that could be for another day.

"Auto" (the green auto) will work in most situations, possibly even inside, but don't expect miracles.

Later, you will learn to select either the shutter speed or the aperture, and you're that much closer to fully manual.

2. SquarePeg

SquarePeg Hear me roar Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    When starting out, I recommend...

Read Bryan Peterson's Understanding Exposure

When learning to get away from Auto:
    For still subjects in good lighting conditions - use Aperture priority mode and ISO 100-200 so that you can experiment and see what the various apertures produce as far as depth of field goes.
    For moving subjects in good lighting - use shutter priority mode and ISO 100-200 so that you can experiment with how the various shutter speeds will stop action or show motion blur.
    For less than ideal lighting conditions - use Manual mode and Auto ISO. Set the shutter speed and aperture based on what you learned while experimenting with the A and S modes and let the camera set the necessary ISO.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. ac12

ac12 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    LCD screen image.jpg For now shoot in Auto or P (Program).
    Then read the manual and about exposure, and there you can experiment.

ISO level is something that you may have to set manually.
    Read about exposure to learn what ISO is appropriate.
    In a very simplified nut shell, the darker the scene, the higher you should set the ISO. And the brighter the scene, the lower you should set the ISO.
    • On some cameras, you can set the ISO to "auto ISO" and let the camera choose the ISO level it thinks it needs for that shot.
    • BUT on other cameras, the auto ISO will only work to raise the ISO level if it is too dark. So you still need to set the ISO appropriately.
    When you shoot in M (Manual), you need to pay attention to the exposure indicator, in the red circle. This will tell you that the camera thinks the scene is over or underexposed based on the setting you have the camera set at. It should be on the center 0.
    • When you were outside, the indicator would have been all the way to the right. Indicating heavy over exposure.
    • As shown in the picture, presumably shot indoors, or with the lens cap on, it is to the left, indicating heavily under exposed.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  4. BigJason

BigJason TPF Noob!

Vilatus,

I recommend you put the camera in 'A' (or 'Av" as it may appear) mode for now. That is aperture priority and you will tell the camera what you want the aperture set at (that's the hole that lets the light in.)

A low number (1.4, 2) means a lot of light is let in--a big hole. The tradeoff is an in-focus subject and out-of-focus background. A higher number (8, 11) means less light let in--a smaller hole. But the foreground and background will both be in focus. This foreground-background focus thing is called "depth of field." What you choose depends on the effect you want and the light level you've got.

Along with the aperture setting, ISO and shutter speed make up the 'exposure triangle' that gives you the light level of the final image. I highly recommend finding Mike Browne's channel on YouTube, clicking on 'Videos' and going all the way back to his earliest video and starting there so you can get a quick education on these terms. Watch all the videos in order. He's super friendly and patient in explaining these things.

In A mode the camera will choose ISO and shutter speed for you to get a correctly exposed image. I spend a lot of time in A mode and go into M when the camera doesn't get the exposure right...or I'm doing some fun long exposure nighttime photography.