Why is everything bright/Terms?

Vilatus,

I recommend you put the camera in 'A' (or 'Av" as it may appear) mode for now. That is aperture priority and you will tell the camera what you want the aperture set at (that's the hole that lets the light in.)

A low number (1.4, 2) means a lot of light is let in--a big hole. The tradeoff is an in-focus subject and out-of-focus background. A higher number (8, 11) means less light let in--a smaller hole. But the foreground and background will both be in focus. This foreground-background focus thing is called "depth of field." What you choose depends on the effect you want and the light level you've got.

Along with the aperture setting, ISO and shutter speed make up the 'exposure triangle' that gives you the light level of the final image. I highly recommend finding Mike Browne's channel on YouTube, clicking on 'Videos' and going all the way back to his earliest video and starting there so you can get a quick education on these terms. Watch all the videos in order. He's super friendly and patient in explaining these things.

In A mode the camera will choose ISO and shutter speed for you to get a correctly exposed image. I spend a lot of time in A mode and go into M when the camera doesn't get the exposure right...or I'm doing some fun long exposure nighttime photography.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back