Why is most street photography black and white?

Unfortunately, there is always that group of shooters who will shoot meaningless pictures, convert them to BW, beat the crap out of them with software and declare them to be 'street.'

Thats true! On the other hand: If then people like it... its fine. I guess it is just overall difficult to define what is "good" street photography and what is "bad" street photography. As it is difficult to articulate that for other photography genres.
you spend eight hours walking around you probably make your snapshot street anyway just because otherwise you have to admit you just wasted eight hours of your life

Brian, it's not quite a waste of time, just like when you go fishing and you don't come back with something, it wasn't a waste of time. Sometimes, the process of doing is more important than the end result. That is a lesson my grandfather taught me, a callow 8-year old kid who couldn't understand why the fish weren't biting. Only many years later did I appreciate the wisdom in his words to live in the moment, and IF we caught something, then it would be a bonus.

I shoot enough Street where I could be classified as a Street Photographer. For me, it all depends on the image, not the genre. Some images I convert to B&W, others I keep color.

IMG_3042-01.jpg

DSCF5886.jpg

I shoot enough Street where I could be classified as a Street Photographer. For me, it all depends on the image, not the genre. Some images I convert to B&W, others I keep color.

IMG_3042-01.jpg

DSCF5886.jpg
that first one needs to be converted to bw it looks like a snapshot. :bek113: LOL!
second one is nice..

Might as well ask why so much Art photography is b&w. The answer is the same.

Most photography is just documentation of what's in front of the camera. This includes commercial work, snapshots, etc. In these cases color is appropriate. It makes the record, the document, more complete.

When you're making Art, you're reaching beyond the document. You're trying to say something about something. Your photo has a purpose other than making a record.

In this case everything about the photo should be pulling toward the goal. Unless color is somehow integral to the point of the image, it should be eliminated. Just like everything else that's not pulling toward the goal.

So, often, the photo is not about color and color is therefore eliminated. Is it about form, or light, or human interaction, or love, or sex? There's a good chance your photo doesn't need color. Color is therefore going to be a distraction.

Plus, it looks artier.

I think street is a genre that is very hard to do well and therefore most of what you see is garbage which pollutes your perception.

I think street is a genre that is very hard to do well and therefore most of what you see is garbage which pollutes your perception.

Agree. But its sometimes difficult to tell. Just posted a new street photography photo in my blog where its not so clear:

I actually took it as a snapshot (not really planned, I did not wait for an hour or so to get the right shot...), but I actually would classify as a "street photography" photo as it tells a story - I hope :).

Check: http://www.andreastimm.com/photo-posts/blackwhite/hand-in-hand/

This where i would disagree. I see lots of these type of "person walks infront of ad" photos. I don't really think they are street as you can just sit there and wait for a man/woman of various ages/race/income and form a story for each one, but it's not a genuine moment.

To me street tells a story that is more than just a chance passing of a billboard.

Andreas, we all got it straight away that you are promoting your blog with this thread, but .. Could it be a bit more measured, please? :adoration: It may have negative effect and people with just stop clocking on the link.
It is a good practice on this forum to post your photos here rather than make people go to members' sites.

Hi
Andreas, we all got it straight away that you are promoting your blog with this thread, but .. Could it be a bit more measured, please? :adoration: It may have negative effect and people with just stop clocking on the link.
It is a good practice on this forum to post your photos here rather than make people go to members' sites.

Hi Sashbar, thank you for the feedback. I was not sure it would be appropriate to post photos directly. I will do going forward!

Tx.

Andreas

This where i would disagree. I see lots of these type of "person walks infront of ad" photos. I don't really think they are street as you can just sit there and wait for a man/woman of various ages/race/income and form a story for each one, but it's not a genuine moment.

To me street tells a story that is more than just a chance passing of a billboard.

Hi sunnah, I would disagree here. While "person in front of billboard" may not be a very unique or creative street photo, but its still a photo of that genre "street photography".

I guess my point is that a perceived quality issue can not be the deciding factor whether a photo is part of a genre. Even a bad landscape photo is a landscape photo.

Most reactions

Back