Why is the 1Ds Mark II so cheap?? Looking to go full-frame.

AmberAtLoveAndInk

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.loveandinkphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm looking at some full-frame bodies and came across some refurbished 1Ds Mark II's, for CHEAP. Like, $500. I know the 1Ds Mark III is an insanely amazing body so why would it's older version be priced so differently? Is there some big flaw in the 1Ds II's design?

the spec sheet alone would be enough reason for me to understand.

Even at $500, I still think it's overpriced.

Because it's 10 years old. I bought my 1D Mark II in 2010 and since then it has depreciated from $800 to $400.

It is a great camera for 500. The specs sheet don't tell all. It's iso performance isn't as good as newer models, but it has a great af system and does very nice fullframe images. Both the 5d and 1ds Mark 2 are good value now if you can get a good condition one. Just an opinion

I'm looking at some full-frame bodies and came across some refurbished 1Ds Mark II's, for CHEAP. Like, $500. I know the 1Ds Mark III is an insanely amazing body so why would it's older version be priced so differently? Is there some big flaw in the 1Ds II's design?
To start: It's technically not "full frame". None of the 1D series is. The crop-factor is 1.3x This is true for the current-generation 1D as well.

It's 8.3MP. Entry level DSLRs are 12-24MP right now and the top end DSLRs are 22-36MP. That's not to say that one cannot take awesome pictures (up to a certain size) at 8.3MP. You can. But that's one of the stats mentioned that's low.

The ISO performance (1600/3200) is pretty low by modern standards (I believe the current 1D is 206,000).

Number of AF points (41) isn't bad at all. The processor is older, but I'm not sure that will hurt with the small sensor MP.

Actually: It looks like a pretty good camera. Can someone tell me why this isn't worth the $400 it costs.

To start: It's technically not "full frame". None of the 1D series is. The crop-factor is 1.3x This is true for the current-generation 1D as well. It's 8.3MP. Entry level DSLRs are 12-24MP right now and the top end DSLRs are 22-36MP. That's not to say that one cannot take awesome pictures (up to a certain size) at 8.3MP. You can. But that's one of the stats mentioned that's low. The ISO performance (1600/3200) is pretty low by modern standards (I believe the current 1D is 206,000). Number of AF points (41) isn't bad at all. The processor is older, but I'm not sure that will hurt with the small sensor MP. Actually: It looks like a pretty good camera. Can someone tell me why this isn't worth the $400 it costs.

You're thinking of the 1DII. She's talking about the 1DsII, which is a full frame 16 MP camera

I never shot with the 1ds II only the 1d II. Love it.

But when I see this threads considering the camera, one thing people tend to overlook is the batteries. These cameras rely on NiMH batteries not Li-ion. There are some disadvantages to shooting with a camera that uses NiMH batteries which is why almost no digital camera today uses them.

To start: It's technically not "full frame". None of the 1D series is. The crop-factor is 1.3x This is true for the current-generation 1D as well.

It's 8.3MP. Entry level DSLRs are 12-24MP right now and the top end DSLRs are 22-36MP. That's not to say that one cannot take awesome pictures (up to a certain size) at 8.3MP. You can. But that's one of the stats mentioned that's low.

The ISO performance (1600/3200) is pretty low by modern standards (I believe the current 1D is 206,000).

Number of AF points (41) isn't bad at all. The processor is older, but I'm not sure that will hurt with the small sensor MP.

Actually: It looks like a pretty good camera. Can someone tell me why this isn't worth the $400 it costs.

Are you looking at the same specs as me? The 1Ds Mii appears to be 36mm FF sensor.

Last edited:
I agree with usayit here. The batteries can be a pain. In fact it can be cheaper to buy a faulty camera with charger and batteries than replacing either the charger or batts

To start: It's technically not "full frame". None of the 1D series is. The crop-factor is 1.3x
There is the 1D series that use the APS-H 1.3x crop sensor, and the 1Ds series that use full frame (36 x 24 mm) image sensors.
Canon has a new series of full frame cameras the 1D X/1D C.

The APS-H image sensor size is bigger than the APS-C 1.6x crop factor image sensor, hence the lower 1.3x crop factor.

The Canon 1D cameras that have the APS-H image sensor were designed for sports shooters and the 1.3 crop factor helps to mitigate the need for lens 'reach' or apparent focal length.

Last edited:
Well I was looking at it for a second body (or a new main body based on quality) for some weddings I'm shooting this summer. I use a 60D and have no problem with it, I honestly think the 60D doesn't get as much credit as it derserves... but would LOVE to have the 5D Mark III except my fiance would kill me if I blew $3000 at the moment. So I was looking at a less expensive body, preferably not any of the 5D's because eventually I WILL have the Mark III, it'll just take a few months to convince the man of the house, I don't want to buy a 5D Mark II or 5D if I'm just going to upgrade.

Make sure the 1Ds isn't the body that shoots anything low light or in need of fps...

Most reactions

Back