Why is the 1Ds Mark II so cheap?? Looking to go full-frame.

Essentially it defeats the purpose of full frame (or whatever it is, APS-H?), because it's older sensor isn't able to keep up to even slightly smaller sensors today in dynamic range or high ISO noise or anything. So it's essentially just a halway decent crop frame body for all practical purposes, except which lenses you use, which makes it even more of a bad idea if you don't own full frame lenses, or neutral if you do.
Well. A 2-year-old crop sensor with no cropping, 45 AF points, 1/250 flash sync, dual card slots, and a pentaprism (rather than a pentamirror) with (I suspect) 100% coverage and off a mirror with twice the surface area (so expect the OVF to be larger and brighter than any of the crop-cameras available) , and a not stupendous, but better than many crop-camera 4.5fps.

But other than all those things, and the weather sealing, and the included portrait handle... it's worse than a more modern crop.

No it was fine in its day, but there are two variables here
1) "Class" of camera
2) Generation of camera

After a long enough amount of time passes, generation outweighs class, in almost everything that matters, except maybe things like weathersealing.

Well. A 2-year-old crop sensor with no cropping, 45 AF points, 1/250 flash sync, dual card slots, and a pentaprism (rather than a pentamirror) with (I suspect) 100% coverage and off a mirror with twice the surface area (so expect the OVF to be larger and brighter than any of the crop-cameras available) , and a not stupendous, but better than many crop-camera 4.5fps.

No camera is going to be IDENTICAL, obviously.

But the 7D for instance probably has a better AF system despite fewer points, same flash sync, also a pentaprism, a perfectly usable LCD screen like any camera that makes viewfinder brightness not that huge of a deal if you're really in pitch blackness, twice the FPS, etc. Plus it's not even 2 years old, it's 5.

If you're really in a very dark situation the LCD is useless for composing shots, that's when a good viewfinder really comes into it's own.

If you're really in a very dark situation the LCD is useless for composing shots, that's when a good viewfinder really comes into it's own.
That's been the opposite of my experience. I can composite with the LCD in low light better than the OVF... though I fully realize that the quality of OVFs vary (and what I'm thinking of was an T2i).

No camera is going to be IDENTICAL, obviously.

But the 7D for instance probably has a better AF system despite fewer points, same flash sync, also a pentaprism, a perfectly usable LCD screen like any camera that makes viewfinder brightness not that huge of a deal if you're really in pitch blackness, twice the FPS, etc. Plus it's not even 2 years old, it's 5.
True. The 7D should definitely be considered by anyone looking at a 1Ds mkII.

And anyone considering a 7D should consider a 70D.

Now where's the 7D mkII ?!?

That's been the opposite of my experience. I can composite with the LCD in low light better than the OVF... though I fully realize that the quality of OVFs vary (and what I'm thinking of was an T2i).
What do you consider low light? If I'm somewhere where the neutral exposure calls for slower shutter speeds, fast apertures and high iso (3200+) the LCD tends to render noisy, muddy images. Basically, shooting on the street at night. If I'm somewhere where the exposure is measured in seconds, not fractions of a second, then the LCD is absolutely usesless, but I can sill see through the OVF just as I can with my own eyes.

"Why is the 1Ds Mark II so cheap?? Looking to go full-frame" relates to 70D & 7D? Things that make me go hmmmm.....

Basically what is being said is the Canon 1D mkll was a piece of crap?

Yes it is crap, Paul Carrack @iso1600

i-M8pSsx4-XL.jpg

What do you consider low light? If I'm somewhere where the neutral exposure calls for slower shutter speeds, fast apertures and high iso (3200+) the LCD tends to render noisy, muddy images. Basically, shooting on the street at night. If I'm somewhere where the exposure is measured in seconds, not fractions of a second, then the LCD is absolutely usesless, but I can sill see through the OVF just as I can with my own eyes.
I was in the "nocturnal" section of Bush Gardens, where making out details with the naked eye was a bit problematic.

The LCD was messy, but I couldn't make out the subjects at all with the OVF. (exposure couldn't be in seconds because the targets were moving).

The pics did not turn out "well" regardless, though as a "remember the bats?" for a vacation album, they work.

"Why is the 1Ds Mark II so cheap?? Looking to go full-frame" relates to 70D & 7D? Things that make me go hmmmm.....
One need consider *why* they are going full-frame and if that's really the path to their goals.

Yes. If FF is the requirement, in the <$1k Canon market you are basically 5D and older 1D models.

Yeah, bear in mind you're dealing with a pentamirror not a pentaprism. A pentaprism transmits more light than a pentamirror. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back