Why is the sky blown out??

Discussion in 'Nikon Cameras' started by Soulshinephotographer, Sep 11, 2017.

1. Destin

Destin Been spending a lot of time on here!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    This. You need fill flash or some other form of lighting so that you can expose for the sky and raise the exposure of the subjects to match.

Yes, you can fake it in post. But it will never look right.

There is only one truly correct way to do this, and that's to use lighting of some sort and get it right in camera.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. pendennis

pendennis No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    In the days before matrix metering came along (Nikon FA), I would take a number of readings with a 1 degree spot meter, getting values for each area of the scene. That would tell me if one exposure, averaged among the readings would work, or if fill light would be needed. I've had EV readings which no amount of averaging could handle, and in that case, you need to have a Plan B, with scrims or artificial lights. Even digital sensors don't have huge amounts of latitude.

You can also fall back on the adage, "Expose for the highlights, develop for the shadows, and in this case go to Photoshop. You can also bracket your exposures, but additional light sources are the way to go.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. chuasam

chuasam Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    if you think it's tough on a $2,000 D750, try it on a $10,000 Leica

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Destin

Destin Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    Screw it. Buy a $30k RED cinema camera.

Still won't be able to defeat the laws of physics.

5. chuasam

chuasam Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Actually, a camera with a theoretical infinite dynamic range would make for really weird crappy photos. Everything will be grey and there'll be not absolute black and absolute white.

This thread should read: Buy $2k camera, unwilling to understand the zone system.
    Understanding & Using Ansel Adam's Zone System

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. TheLibrarian

TheLibrarian TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

It was disappointing to get a fancy camera and realize your old point and shoot or phone takes seemingly better pictures. iPhone automatically does hdr. Think I can turn it on on my d5300 but I hear it is not proper to do so and would amount to combining 2 pics in post I gather. My old point and shoot had what i thought was better zoom in a tiny attached lens and better autofocus/ crispness but I'm sure is user error... I hope at least. Giving us too much control might be a problem and back before if we had a blown out sky we probably wouldn't even have known or imagined there was a better way and wouldn't have hesitated to let the camera use it's on board flash if it wanted to.