why is this so cheap?

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by MDowdey, Oct 12, 2005.

1. MDowdey

MDowdey Guest

2. ShutteredEye

ShutteredEye TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
  3. MDowdey

MDowdey Guest

hmmmm...why am i seeing IR filters for 40 bucks, then some are like 300 bucks?
    and is this the type of filter i can put on my DSLR to get that oh so funky IR effect?

4. ShutteredEye

ShutteredEye TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I dunno, the way I read it, these filters just filter out xray energy, not visible light. It's like a UV filter for IR film or maybe like a neutral density. I don't think you get the IR effect from this filter alone... Don't know for sure though.

5. MDowdey

MDowdey Guest

hmmmm...im confused then...whats the one that erolmangodamnnada puts on her dang camera?

6. photogoddess

photogoddess TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    It's cheap because it's a small size and because it's eBay. Does your camera lenses take 52mm filters or 58mm or ??? I can't remember since I didn't check your lenses out that well in JT. :lol: I've got one of these and with the 10D, you're prone to getting hot spots on the image and still have to do some PS work because the image is just a big purple mess. I've heard this filter works much better with the Nikon D70 but haven't had time to try it yet.

7. MDowdey

MDowdey Guest

hmmmm...thats confusing me even more. the lens i want to put it on would be a 52mm...but if i have to do a ton of crap to it, it doesnt seem worth it.

8. ksmattfish

ksmattfish Now 100% DC - not as cool as I once was, but still

Photos NOT OK to edit
    You will see the same with other kinds of filters also. It depends who is making them, how well they are making them, special materials required, supply and demand, etc... B+W filters are always more expensive than Tiffen or Hoya. Digital has increased the interest in IR photography so they are selling and making more of the popular IR filters, and the price has gone down. Possibly they are also making cheaper versions for the amateur photographer, compared to more precise versions for use in science, business, etc...

Check out this link to see an electromagnetic spectrum scale in nanometers.

http://acept.la.asu.edu/PiN/rdg/color/color.shtml

9. DocFrankenstein

DocFrankenstein Clinically Insane?

Because it's ebay.

It can be a good filter and still work. Hell... from what I know the IR glass by itself is extremely cheap and it costs less than a buck to manufacture.

Somebody has probably manged to import them directly, and of course can't sell it for more then BH...

If you don't know for sure, then don't respond. Xrays are not involved here. :lmao:

It cuts off pretty much all visible light except some visible red and leaves infrared for your to capture.

There are some lenses which are better for doing IR work than others. 50/1.8 is good 50/1.4 is bad. The "bad" ones give you a hot spot in the middle of the frame and its not a property of the filter.

If you want to experiment with IR, get a processed roll of kodak ektachrome. When you process the roll unexposed, the transmission curve reselmbles that of R72 filter. If you put two layers on, then it works even better removing everything from the visible spectrum and getting pretty far into the IR range.

This slide can also be mounted on your flash and you can take pics of people without the long shutter speeds. Just keep in mind that wet cotton is transparent to the IR.

10. MDowdey

MDowdey Guest

im totally not in the market for a film camera though. so thats out of the question. i want to do color IR with a digital, what is the best way to accomplish this?

11. DocFrankenstein

DocFrankenstein Clinically Insane?

Slap the R72 filter on, go out and shoot. What do you have? 300D 10D ?

take a tripod, cause the exposures will be from 2 to 20 seconds.

12. MDowdey

MDowdey Guest

10D. and a kick ass tripod.

what is the process in Photoshop that gets the color back into it?