Why no love for the prime pipe? (200 f2.8)

coastalconn

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I never see anyone talk about this lens in any of the forums these days. I got one awhile ago, mostly based on photozone.de review. I guess everyone wants a zoom with IS these days? In case anyone is looking for a long sharp portrait lens and is on a serious budget you should check it out. I got a first version one for about $300 on the bay. Talk about a hidden gem. Anyone else have one in the bag?

That looks like a cool piece of glass; I wish Nikon make one. The 200mm f2 is a gorgeous hunk of glass, but it is big, heavy and EXPENSIVE!

That looks like a cool piece of glass; I wish Nikon make one. The 200mm f2 is a gorgeous hunk of glass, but it is big, heavy and EXPENSIVE!
Those 200 F2's are impressive. The Canon 200 F1.8 (long discontinued) looks pretty wild too.

It looks very nice! I'm saving up for more reach, however I guess this one could handle a T.C. rather well.

It looks very nice! I'm saving up for more reach, however I guess this one could handle a T.C. rather well.
I only have a 1.4x so I haven't really tried it because I have been getting so close to the hawks. In general I'm not a huge fan of extenders anyways. Here is what I have been getting without the 1.4x. Some on the 1D4, some on the 7dm2 and some like the gulls and kittty were just test shots.. Canon 200 F2.8 Prime Pipe

Thanks for sharing. I'm watching one right now. I have looked at them in the past but convinced myself I needed more reach. I don't know how you make it look so easy !
:)

Thanks for sharing. I'm watching one right now. I have looked at them in the past but convinced myself I needed more reach. I don't know how you make it look so easy !
:)
For most it would probably not be enough reach for birds. I just happen to have a few unique hawks in the area (1 at a golf course and 2 at a state park) that ignore humans. I just wanted to start this thread because people might not be aware of it. Not many prime "l" lenses you can get for under $400 and it's not white!

Is there much difference between version 1 and version II? The one I had my eye on just sold to a lucky bidder. There are a couple more under $500 but they are not without blemishes.

The prime pipe? OMG--you have resurrected a Canon nickname that was first used in the early 2000's, and ONLY on the internet!!! Funny stuff! Gotta love your throwback lingo!

Yes... f/2.8 zoom lenses kind of killed the interest in the fast 180mm or 200mm f/2.8 field telephoto category.

I've always like the fast middle primes. Physical size is just right ... not too big ... not too small.
I had a Canon FD 200mm f/2.8, and almost never took it off my F-1n.

One day I might get the Minolta 200mm f/2.8 with matching teleconverters instead of a zoom ... maybe.
Minolta AF 200mm f/2.8 APO G HS - Review / Lab Test
Not pipe-like.

Is there much difference between version 1 and version II? The one I had my eye on just sold to a lucky bidder. There are a couple more under $500 but they are not without blemishes.
AFAIK Version 1 has the built in lens hood and version 2 has a screw on. I personally like the built in hood because I use it as a pocket lens when I'm chasing hawks and I can't loose it. Optically they are supposedly the same...
The prime pipe? OMG--you have resurrected a Canon nickname that was first used in the early 2000's, and ONLY on the internet!!! Funny stuff! Gotta love your throwback lingo!
At one point I was looking at the "Magic Pipe" and googled lens nicknames... Personal favorite is "Eye of Sauron" :)

One day I might get the Minolta 200mm f/2.8 with matching teleconverters instead of a zoom ... maybe.
Minolta AF 200mm f/2.8 APO G HS - Review / Lab Test
Not pipe-like.
Looks pretty sweet!

Yeah, I was bouncing between that and the Minolta 80-200mm f/2.8 ... but it appears that too many Sony shooters like the 200mm, so the price is higher when you include the teleconverters.
$300 for the Canon is a nice price ... wish I could get the Minolta for that price.

.[/QUOTE]
At one point I was looking at the "Magic Pipe" and googled lens nicknames... Personal favorite is "Eye of Sauron" :)[/QUOTE]

LoL!! I think it's the ef 80-200 f2.8 that gets the moniker "Magic Drainpipe". It looks like another "L" series lens that it an excellent value. Too cool!

Most reactions

Back