Why no olmpuses?

One thing I absolutely MUST talk about also, is the DOF advantages on 4/3. Now some may differ with me on this (i.e. the Noctilux freaks :p) but I have yet to have a situation where I was NOT thankful for a 2 stop deeper equiv. DOF. I use a lot of older M42 lenses with the depth scale on them, and it makes manual focus for sports a lot easier, but still eliminates the background well. My Vivitar 135mm 2.8 w/ preset aperture switch that I got for $48 shipped comes to mind as a favorite.

Just food for thought.

Sorry to just jump in but is the E-410 a good camera? I like Olympus, but im my view an Olympus camera would be hard for me to buy because they have very few lenses for around $150, many of the lenses being 300+$.

Absolutely, the lenses can be a bit pricey (well, in comparison to other consumer lenses), I only have the 2 kit lenses myself. The 14-42 and 40-150mm. The rest of my lenses are old m42 manual focus, manual aperture lenses you can get off ebay for a song, but certainly this solution is not feisable for most.

Yeah, don't ever use a ferrari to ford comparison again.
The only time you can really use that comparison is when your trying to compare a tiny neglected $100,000 house to a brand new $900,000 mansion.
It really doesn't work for any other product out their since Ferrari is so far ahead of everybody in terms of quality/performance. A Mercedes to Acura comparison might be better. Both are quality luxury cars. Both are high end and no matter which one you go with your going to get a good car. Sure the Mercedes has more features but do those features justify the added cost, not really. You end up paying extra for a name that really doesn't matter which goes back to whatt Bifurcator was saying about brand whores and cattle:lol:

Its not a true comparison, mostly im saying you get what you pay for. :)

Sorry to just jump in but is the E-410 a good camera?

It was pretty good when it was new I thought. How much is the 410 these days? $150~$200? It must be something close to that I see 420 bodies going for $350~$375 occasionally.

If I started over, I would want a system that is small, it's one of the reasons I always like Pentax - weather-seals, LiveView, sensor clean, and the smallest system out there.

I wish Canon had a smaller FF dSLR, and a few small prime lenses. Probably soon...

All DSLRs should be weathered sealed, its really not that expensive is it?....

I don't know if I'd trust weather sealing after spending $1,000! I don't know if my camera has it don't plan on testing it

Well I think the reason Nikon/Canon have the market share is they were the first to offer Dslrs. Eveyone else was late to the party and, most of us got our when the technology was new. I still have my Pentax MX with a 50mm. When Dslrs came out I waited for Pentax to come out with one but, ended up going with Nikon because, I got tired of waiting.

I shot a Nikon D1x and a D2H in pouring rain, snow, hurricane force winds, and never had a problem, and they are not weather sealed. As a working PJ, I always, always carried a towel and wore a vest with big enough pockets to stash the cameras in. When they got wet, I simply dried them off and kept shooting. I never had any problems.

When I moved to the 4/3 system, weather sealing was not a big selling point for me at all. I still carry a white, cotton towel today. It is a great, simple tool that has many, many uses, besides covering your camera in the rain or wiping down your wet camera.

Weather sealing is nice, but it is not a make or break deal for me.

As far as the 4/3 ratio, it grew on me. I actually seem to crop my photos less. Also, I am not real big on the megapixel count. My Lumix L1 is 7.5 which is more than enough for the type of stuff I shoot. My Olympus E-1, which I bought as a second body, is only 5.

alot of people don't like small viewfinders or a 4:3 ratio.

seriously, my father has a 35mm camera, I wish my viewfinder was as big as his (I got 1.6x crop)

a few days in a sealed bag with some silica gel can recover wetted electronics - - of course its not alwasy going to work, best not to get it wet in the first place :)

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back