Why not have third wheel for Dslrs?

A third command wheel would be great.

I would use it for EXP COMP not ISO though.

My ISO is usually set to AUTO, so it stays at 100 unless light gets really sparse.

Wouldn't a third wheel make it a tricycle?

I don't see a need for this at all when auto Iso works just great for me. In the event I want to set it my self, a push of a dedicated ISO button and I'm there.I will gladly take exposure comp in manual mode though,which won't require an additional wheel.

Last edited:
I don't see a need for this at all when auto Iso works just great for me. In the event I want to set it my self, a push of a dedicated ISO button and I'm there.I will gladly take exposure comp in manual mode though,which won't require an additional wheel.
I think the setup on the X100T has it about perfect. a 3 stop EC dial that works in all the auto modes, plus in manual if you have auto ISO enabled.

After I got used to it, I pretty much shoot this way 100% of the time with that camera: manual SS, manual aperture, auto ISO ranging from 800-6400 and then ride the EC dial as needed. I use the expanded DR 400 mode, which requires at least ISO 800. I think sticking to ISO 100 at all times is more a remnant of early digital and film than it really is a maximally efficient way to shoot with modern cameras. But at the same time, with modern tech do we really need a dial for it? if ISO doesn't matter, do we need active control over it, as separate from simple EC?

It does seem that people either stick to an ISO for a number of shots and just adjust shutter speed and aperture until there is a real need to adjust ISO and then in other cases go to Auto ISO and fine tune ISO using EC.

On the A7 it does look like you can change ISO easily with the rear dial, I would be happy if my Nikon had the option to be able to change ISO with just one hand on the camera. For me that is a better option than Auto ISO and EC for manual mode. Hey, could just have a menu option to change the EC button to ISO, that would work for me.

Use easy iso.

using tapatalk.

No.

using tapatalk.

the answer is no.

If you use strobe, the I usually set it at ISO 400, and that way I have a little bit of room to play with if I want to bump the exposure up or down quickly. In that scenario, I cold see having a dedicated ISO dial being kind of useful. But in that scenario I'm also likely shooting tethered and thus can control all the camera's setting very easily from my laptop anyway.

the answer is no.

Well, my canon DSLR stays in ISO 400 all the times when set to auto and turn on the flash at the same time unless I change the ISO to different value.
oh youre using one of those things...

]on my Nikon if youre using auto-iso, the ISO value will change regardless if strobe or not. especially in matrix mode where the body is trying to match the ambient bg with foreground flash subject.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back