Why not square?

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by TiCoyote, Nov 4, 2009.

1. TiCoyote

TiCoyote TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Why are sensors and frames rectangular? Why don't they make them square? It would eliminate the need to hold the camera sideways, and for many it could eliminate the need for grips (although I know how much people love their grips, and I'm sure people could still buy them if they wanted them). It would also eliminate the need to rotate photos (or the technology inside the camera that rotates the photo automatically).

I realize that a square is not always ideal for composition, but anyone can digitally crop an image into a 3:2 either portrait or landscape.

I guess part of this is a throwback to film. But couldn't we move beyond this?

2. ErectedGryphon

ErectedGryphon TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Do you have square computer monitor, or a square TV? These might be a few other influences on the shape of camera sensors.

3. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    With a high resolution sensor, it's quite easy to crop the sides off to a square; I have cropped this way myself a few times. As MP counts go up and up, cropping off the sides to a square format might be more common.

Cropping off the sides to make a square on the few frames that need to be seen as squares makes more sense than cropping EVERY,single square capture into horizontal or vertical compositions.

4. DScience

DScience No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    LOL this argument DOES NOT work. Computer monitors have been square since the beginning, as well as TV's. However this changed with the advent of the LCD.

Sorry, but fail.:thumbdown:

5. ErectedGryphon

ErectedGryphon TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I've never seen a 1:1 TV or computer monitor, where do you buy your electronics?

So you fail? (I'm not 12 so I'm doubt I'm using this right)

6. Plato

Plato TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Actually, TVs were originally ROUND. The size of the screen was the diameter. Little by little (as permitted by the technology), they became somewhat squarish and the "diameter" became the corner to corner measurement. When they became fairly close to true square, the 4:3 rectangle evolved but we still used the corner to corner dimension as the screen size. The true square didn't last long at all.

Because of the silliness of the corner to corner dimension, the feds required that the size be stated in square inches. However, as realistic as that might be, it simply didn't make sense to consumers that just knew what a 19-inch or 21-inch or 23-inch size looked like. That regulation was dropped within a year.

7. JamesMason

JamesMason TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Medium format is square

8. boomer

boomer No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    I don't really like square images. Images that are closer to matching the "Golden Ratio" are much more pleasing to look at. I think the golden ratio is a big contributing factor of a lot of things we view.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2009
  9. Actor

Actor TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    It's also 6x7 and 6x4.5 and 6x9 (2:3) depending on which camera you buy. You can probably buy other ratios.

I personally don't care for 6x6. I wind up cropping just about every image, at least the ones that are keepers. It's a waste of film (or pixels). I'd like to get a 645.

10. bigtwinky

bigtwinky No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I would think that the standard rectangular landscape position matches closely how my actual vision works?

As in, I see more on the sides than up and down (peripheral vision) and thus creates a rectangular viewing area.

As photography tries to capture what the artist's eye sees and allows viewers to see the same image, would having it square not be too awkward for viewing?

11. McNugget801

McNugget801 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    err... I dont think so

12. gsgary

gsgary Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit

They do, loads of square format cameras to choose from
    Bronica - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia