Why Ring Lights?

DGMPhotography

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Why are ring lights so popular, and yet everyone talks about how bad "on-camera" flash is?

Why are ring lights so popular, and yet everyone talks about how bad "on-camera" flash is?

Many are used as on-axis lights, meaning right on the camera len's axis with the subject; that placement of the light creates almost shadowless lighting, and can create weird, rounded catchlights--both things that are sometimes seen as desirable. But, uh, yeahhhh--you hit upon something.

I'm not sure ring light is popular. I met a photographer who uses one for portrait. I think it is portable, power efficient, and you get constant lighting.
I prefer a speedlite when I'm shooting outdoor and indoor. I use a light modifier when I shoot portrait. Not interested getting to spend money on a ring light.

Jill Greensberg used ( or uses) one I think. Her photos are extremely popular by being also extremely unpopular. I personally like them.

Simple answer " Think Differently" - Apple

It took me a long time to realise its not a bad thing to have on camera light or at least move one light closer to Camera for fill.

One more reason, Macro. Extreme macro seemingly needs one.

The critics are talking about an unmodified flash that produces an amateurish "hot spot" flash. A ring light is not the same thing.

There is an interesting new development in fashion photography, by people like Terry Richardson is the most popular guy, using very small flash brackets, in which the flash is pretty close to the lands access and it gives a very unusual luck with direct straightahead flash. There is also a new way to take a speed light and literally tape it or rubber band it to the barrel of the lens it's self so that the light rays are exactly on the camera lens access. This causes the nose shadow in the chin shadow to be almost imperceptible. That is the hallmark of a ring light: a nose shadow that is very very tiny, right to the one side of the nose depending on which way the face is angled. This is one thing that ring light does it create a very unusual shadow pattern that's different from other light sources. Again, a ring light can create directly on axis light, which is extremely uncommon. Same with the flash taped to the lens itself. It's a different way to light pictures. It's a new way to light There does not exist a 150 year backlog of photos that have been lighted with ring lights, so picture shot with them look new and different to most people. Sent from iPhone talk to text

I have an older ring light from film days. And currently have a Nikon R1 kit with 2 extra SB-R200's for a total of 4 flashes on the end of the lens (that is most recommended weight for end of 105 micro lens). The ring will actually hold 8 SB-R200's. Though I have not used the R1 for portraits, I can see some benefits from it. I use the R1 kit for macro all the time. With the diffusers on, moving the lights even closer to the center. You get a direct light that is not harsh and fewer shadows inside of plants and what not.

There is also the medical lenses, that have ring lights built in. I have seen them used mostly in dental offices. Where they need the light very close to the lens.

I don't think ring lights are popular. They are specialized products for specialized applications. The main application is to produce shadowless macro images.

The problem with on-camera flash is that it produces ugly lighting. We used to call it the deer-in-the-headlights look. By moving the flash away from the lens, you add direction and modeling to the light.

But using a ring light on a macro image doesn't do that. It surrounds the subject with light since it is larger than the subject itself. Using a ring light at normal focus just produces the old deer-in-the-headlights look and probably with less power unless you move it away from the lens like you would any other flash unit.

I wanna get/make one.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I wanna get/make one.

Here is the Strobist article on taping the speedlight flash unit directly to the lens barrel itself.

Strobist: On Assignment: On Camera, On Axis, On Budget

Oh, that's neat haha. But I'm thinking of going with the Neewer which has a built in reflector to distribute the flash evenly from the shoe mount.

https://www.amazon.com/Neewer-Unive...F8&qid=1506270141&sr=1-10&keywords=ring+flash

Two different looks, two different devices. But YEAH, the Neewer fabric ring-light dealiebob looks like it might be very,very fun to use. I see why you'd want that thing!

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Yeah, I suppose there are very different kinds of ring lights. The main difference being the big softbox version for portraits, and then the small, attached-to-the-lens version for macro.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back