Why so many snap shots...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EJBPhoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Do some of you feel like all you're seeing these days on here are P and S snap shots...? I don't know if I'm in the wrong section of the site or what... but I can't seem to find the same level of quality that I found before the forums were reorganized.

I think this is a problem more in the people and pets / portrait section?

But then again all I post in Landscape & Nature are snapshots in a way ;)

.. but I see what you mean and we had related discussions before ... it is the thing about just wanting to share a shot of an interesting subject (where the quality of the image is of subordinate importance), or the other extreme, to get hardcore crtitique on the way the subject is photographed.

Both are valid approaches and both should be allowed on the forum. The trouble is just how to spearate the two to minimise frustration for both sides ;)

I mean the word "pets" .. just calls for snapshots of our loved ones, doesn't it?

I mean I don't have much interest in the other portrait section of here because although I take my photography quite seriously and feel like I am more involved in it than most of the people posting in this forum- I am not interested in wedding photography. And that's a lot of what's in the other forum. I used to TAKE a lot from this forum, and now I feel like I'm not learning anything- just CCing stuff that looks like no one took the time to think about the composition or learn about photography. Maybe I'm being cruel, but I think if you join this forum, you need to be serious about the art and I don't get that sense all the time here.

Maybe some of it is that the people here have vastly different levels of experience. What you see as a snapshot might really be a beginner's good faith effort to improve.

For one, I am an absolute beginner with no artistic background. I am learning about composition and photography; but it is a slow process. When I post a photo here, it is so that I can get advice and learn how to improve. Is it a snapshot? Probably. Is it better than one I took a few weeks ago? I hope so.

One day I would like to take really stunning photos, but in the meantime, my shots might bore you to tears. It is all a work in progress.

~jen

Maybe some of it is that the people here have vastly different levels of experience. What you see as a snapshot might really be a beginner's good faith effort to improve.

BINGO!

What you are seeing as a snapshot or poorly set up could be a beginner's attempt at learning more. I post some crap shots because I am looking for tips on how to improve. If someone can point out a problem and suggest a different approach, then my next picture could be better (in theory). In the meantime, I'm sure some of my stuff look like snapshots. And sometimes, snapshots are the best art. Art is subjective. 3 people can look at a picture and see three different things and have three different opinions of it.

Not sure what to tell you as far as the amount of stuff that is being posted. I try to look at every picture that is shared. Some feel snapshotsy to me. Others make my stuff look like my kid took them. Does that mean everyone else has the same opinion? Doubtful. I think in the People and Pets gallery, people are sharing random shots because they feel that they have managed to capture a certain feeling or look. Also, I think for many of us beginners (I know I am still a beginner in many ways) our kids, family and pets ARE our best practice subjects so we may post more of them, thus coming across as posting snapshots to the general audience.

I'm learning a lot here. Every so often, the older crowd is going to give way to the newer crowd (not calling you old, it's a reference to experience and # of posts). The older crowd may see the newer crowd's stuff as snapshots. I'm willing to bet by the end of the year, I'd be wondering why are there so many crap shots being posted. But then I'll have to remember that everyone starts somewhere and that includes snapshots.

I know what you mean and I thought too that another thing that sucks is that most people visit the same sections all the time (I know I do) and some of the poeple that only really stick to the portrait amd wedding section don't come here. I am not entitled to posting my pictures for some of those I really liked over there to tell me what they think anymore because mine are not proffesional. I miss some of their opinions. :( I mean not that I don't value all of yours, of course I do. But I think you know what I mean.

Maybe I'm being cruel, but I think if you join this forum, you need to be serious about the art and I don't get that sense all the time here.[/quote]

I wanted to add that I suck right now but I am very serious aboutlearning more. I have to take some classes and things to really get it because I think I'm a bit learning disabled in the way that I simply can't GET IT when I read! I'm a hands on girl. So when you see mine please don't think I'm here for fun and games. I really love the art of photography and want to do well. It's just very hard. :confused:

I welcome newcomers, beginners. They bring lifesblood into the forum. Encourage them as photographers not as mommies or daddies or people who share pictures of their favorite dog, cat, car, etc. Ignore how you feel about the subject and look at the picture.

I think that the best way to keep the postings on the actual 'photographic track' is to not give token replies. If someone posts a snapshot-picture of a beautiful child, don't say, 'cute kid' and quit, make some sort of statement about the posting as a picture. Don't divert the discussion to talk about where the OP lives or how cool his avatar is. Do your bit to keep the subject on track.

It's disconcerting to look at a posting, see a picture that needs some actual critique and see 5 or 6 prior comments that are complete fluff.

Don't say, "I don't know enough to say anything." Well, if you want to be a better photorapher, this is the time to learn. Exercise your mind and figure out what can be done to make the picture better. A string of 'that's really cute' or 'he'll break hearts' or 'my little Alphonse did the same thing when he was that age' doesn't do anyone any good if they're trying to take better pictures.

That's your part in this bargain - and if you don't try to learn and make insightful comments about the picture, it's you, the viewer who is failing in the bargain.

There are lots of good comments here. Read them and try to understand what the viewer is seeing. Try to apply what you know and what you've done. And if you don't have anything relevant to say, don't divert the topic by saying something irrelevant.

I understand what you mean - I've come across some images and thought "why would someone post this here?" but at the same time, I'm new here and shouldn't really say anything on this subject, as I'm not super confident with my photos and I haven't posted any here because of it.

However some constructive criticism might do me good so I might as well start sometime :p

I guess I just see little thought going into the pictures here. People don't post their settings, they ask for comments but they don't take the CC... *sigh* I guess I just miss how the board used to be. Ah well. Lately though I've been trying to CC but I don't even know where to begin sometimes!

Does anyone find that the CC board on this website is any good?

Does anyone find that the CC board on this website is any good?

You mean the Photo Critique?

I think I never posted anything there yet, but critique can be fairly constructive there.

I have posted a couple of photos there and those people that help out there are AWESOME! It's where I learned the very few things I now know about and didn't before... mostly about composititon but also photo shop too.

And to The Traveler... You're great. I understand what you mean when you say about how some people leave comments that don't help. I think for me, I do that because I know it's frustrating to see that like 1,000 people (slight exageration) looked at a picture and no one says anything at all. Even though the only commet you may get is, cute kid. At least it makes you feel like a part of things because someone acknowledged your post at all. And I really don't know yet what to tell someone ususally as far as what will make it better, aside form the very obvious things. I don't want to never say anything because I do not want to only take form this board but I would at least like to try and contribute something by posting even something small for now. :) This isn't just something I want to be a hobby... I really love it and i want to be good at it, but it's hard. Did you ever see the movie Amadeus? I feel like Antonio Salieri sometimes!!!! If you haven't seen that movie, watch it - it's good and you'll know what I mean. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back