Why the hostility to the "overcooked" images ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have hardly seen anything done in HDR that I've liked because it looks too overprocessed and too overdone to me. I find that I see the processing, not the photograph.

It does seem to get into being more like graphic design using a photographic image rather than being a photograph. Earlier on I remember seeing photos referred to as photo illustrations which seems to describe it better I think.

The 'Light and Stone' photo linked is one that I actually like and wouldn't have necessarily thought it was HDR. I think it's often the light - it sometimes just doesn't look real or believable in HDR images.

Uhhhh... Go look again. The human eye can see way more dynamic range than a camera... And yes... You absolutely can see the bright blue sky and a well lit interior. In total extremes... Like staring at the sun from in a cave? No. Otherwise... Yes.

And as far as hdr fading away... Folks said the same thing about color photography.

......I'd be surprised if years from now any of the significant or well known photos that come out of this era will be ones that were HDR. I don't know that the look will stand the test of time or if it might end up being more of a fad or trend that was popular for a time.

What Look??

Both examples of HDR:
HDR $MASK.jpg
HDR + TONE MAPPING$MASK1.jpg

Not a great picture to start with but very distinct styles of PP. Does the second one represent " the look" you are referring to?

Does it look good or bad is up to the person viewing it.

To me there are an unlimited number of ways to process that picture. To some other people there is a very limited number of ways to process that picture. Thats the point I am making.

......I'd be surprised if years from now any of the significant or well known photos that come out of this era will be ones that were HDR. I don't know that the look will stand the test of time or if it might end up being more of a fad or trend that was popular for a time.

What Look??

Both examples of HDR:
HDR View attachment 80808
HDR + TONE MAPPINGView attachment 80809

Not a great picture to start with but very distinct styles of PP. Does the second one represent " the look" you are referring to?

Does it look good or bad is up to the person viewing it.

To me there are an unlimited number of ways to process that picture. To some other people there is a very limited number of ways to process that picture. Thats the point I am making.

And the point I was trying to make was that you can process your photos in any way you want to. Bend the rules, make new rules, completely ignore rules...do whatever the heck you want. If I don't like the look of most of those photos, that doesn't mean I'm saying you should limit how you process them. That's also not saying I think those tools are bad or worthless. It's simply saying that I don't get enjoyment out of looking at the product of the processing. That's not a closed mind; that's just an opinion on how something is or isn't pleasing to my eye.

Am I going to use HDR? No. Once again, that is not the sign of a closed mind. It's the sign of a person who recognizes that using that tool would create an image that is not pleasing to her eye. Am I limiting myself? Of course I am. Everyone limits themselves. No one can use every single processing tool all the time. You pick and choose the ones that suit the things you like to look at or create. I'm not using HDR, but then again, you probably aren't using instant film and physically manipulating the emulsion. And yet, here I am, not accusing you of having a closed mind.

For the last time, having an intellectual appreciation of a tool that creates a certain look and also not liking that look are two different things.

And now I'm well and truly over it.

People hate hdr cause it aint what they are used to. Some come to like it (as well as its well done) and some will hate it no matter what for no valid reason at all. Plenty of us make a fine living off hdr photos, while those criticizing it make nothing off their photos. You need to think about the reasons a person would aggressively attack hdr photographers. If it didn't affect their living, they wouldn't care. So their whole argument is defeated by their protest.

People hate hdr cause it aint what they are used to. Some come to like it (as well as its well done) and some will hate it no matter what for no valid reason at all. Plenty of us make a fine living off hdr photos, while those criticizing it make nothing off their photos. You need to think about the reasons a person would aggressively attack hdr photographers. If it didn't affect their living, they wouldn't care. So their whole argument is defeated by their protest.

I would say people hate "obvious" HDR because it tends to look like crap.

When you say "plenty of us make a fine living off hdr photos" I would ask you what you are making off of your HDR images, and what you consider a "fine" living. Also know that people who make the most off of HDR tend to make images that don't rely on "the HDR look" to sell. Their images sell because of the content. Oftentimes you may see their images and not even know it's HDR. Of course, this excludes internet photocelebs who make their living selling their schtick to noob photogs.

People don't attack HDR because it effects their livelyhoods or lifestyles. That assumption is a bit egotistical. They have a negative opinion of it and are sharing that opinion. This isn't any different than a fashion designer "hating" to see people walk around with their pants hanging off their backsides. It doesn't effect them, but it does offend their personal aesthetic. Their "protesting" doesn't defeat their argument.

HDR that is "obvious' tends to put the process before the image. If creating images that are more reliant on a processing gimmick than vision is your thing than so be it. Personally, if you look at one of my HDR images and the first thing that jumps out is "HDR!", then I have failed. I never want my processing to overshadow my images.

I'm personally a fan of the slightly overdone look. I think it gives it great character along with a surreal look to it. If every photo is supposed to look the same way and supposed to follow the "rules", then they'd all look the same.

I think done either the " right way " or " wrong way " can make a boring photo look great.

I couldn't agree more...... which is why Reaper, you came to the wrong forum. Don't let the forum section name fool you. Half or more of these guys do not even like HDR in the first place. Most of the rest feel that only their way of super lightly done, hard to tell its even an HDR, types of photos, are correct. Yours, mine, and every other artists train of thought is simply wrong, because its not the same as theirs.

Ef' all of those close-minded @$$holes.

I'm personally a fan of the slightly overdone look. I think it gives it great character along with a surreal look to it. If every photo is supposed to look the same way and supposed to follow the "rules", then they'd all look the same.

I think done either the " right way " or " wrong way " can make a boring photo look great.

I couldn't agree more...... which is why Reaper, you came to the wrong forum. Don't let the forum section name fool you. Half or more of these guys do not even like HDR in the first place. Most of the rest feel that only their way of super lightly done, hard to tell its even an HDR, types of photos, are correct. Yours, mine, and every other artists train of thought is simply wrong, because its not the same as theirs.

Ef' all of those close-minded @$$holes.
You're gonna get yourself banned.

I like HDR photos ... in a post from last year (I think I said this already in this thread) someone had HDR of an airplane. I think it looked great and would make a great poster. Of course, many anti-HDR ppl stipulated it wasn't a good "photo"

each people has a particular look that they like. I think that's about it. There are "pure" photographers then everyone else who uses HDR< or photoshop, etc.

astroNikon said:

Your predictive powers are astonishing, astro. :)

The dude was using some fake IP, logged into the forum and his only two posts have been inflammatory... oh and one nasty PM to me just disparaging the forum to the nth degree.

Just a troll, most likely.

astroNikon said:

Your predictive powers are astonishing, astro. :)

The dude was using some fake IP, logged into the forum and his only two posts have been inflammatory... oh and one nasty PM to me just disparaging the forum to the nth degree.

Just a troll, most likely.
Yup. Hostile and Nasty words even with the (&% tend to not be overlooked.

I nearly replied to his other post but I decided not too. Then you locked it.

I got to spend a little time at Hot August Nights in Reno, NV last week. Didn't see any pictures I wanted, but I did run across a booth where some lady was selling HDR images of custom cars and images from races. I've seen some HDR I like, but my taste has changed, probably matured, since joining TPF and other photo related sites the last few months. The thought that ran through my mind when I first saw that HDR booth was, HRD is the black velvet paintings of the 21st century. At least those were. But they were selling because people liked them.

I like a large variety of photography styles, but I'm not interested in learning how to shoot or develop all types of photography. I am glad TPF exists to help me create better pictures. But it also exists to help photographers with different interests than mine. I don't like certain types of photography though, so I just don't go into those specific forums or get involved in discussions related to them. I like the phrase, "to each their own." If it's not "my own," I'm happy to let others own it unconditionally.

Jim

omg please let this thread die.

There is one and only one answer to "Why the hostility towards xxx?" ... and that is SOME PEOPLE DON'T LIKE CHANGE... AND ...OTHER PEOPLE DON'T UNDERSTAND THAT CHANGE ISN'T GOOD JUST BECAUSE IT'S CHANGE.

It's the same crap all the time. Color photography. Autofocus. Digital photography. Microwaves. Cars. Eating tomatoes.

MOST of these things eventually become widely accepted and then become the new norm that everyone stands on when someone introduces some other new thing and they feel the need to shout it down.

The world is full of change. Embrace it, accept it, don't accept it, whatever. Who cares. Just please god don't whine about it on the internet.

Jim that analogy gave me a laugh. I don't usually look at the HDR section but kept seeing this thread pop up so finally looked to see what it was about - and still it continues on!

HDR to me overpowers the photo and that's what stands out more than the composition or anything else about a photo when the technique is used. Maybe if it was more subtle it would enhance a photo and I might find it more interesting or appealing, but I can't say I've seen HDR that I liked. Maybe because it isn't usually subtle is why people tend to react to it (just often not in a good way!).

Jim that analogy gave me a laugh. I don't usually look at the HDR section but kept seeing this thread pop up so finally looked to see what it was about - and still it continues on!

HDR to me overpowers the photo and that's what stands out more than the composition or anything else about a photo when the technique is used. Maybe if it was more subtle it would enhance a photo and I might find it more interesting or appealing, but I can't say I've seen HDR that I liked. Maybe because it isn't usually subtle is why people tend to react to it (just often not in a good way!).

I can just about garuntee that you've seen HDR images you liked, it's just highly likely that you didn't know it was HDR.;) That's the whole thing. When we talk about people not liking HDR what it usually boils down to is the overcooked, tonemapped look. Done well you don't even know it, which was my point before. It shouldn't overpower the image. Meanwhile some people think that HDR is just the greatest way to polish their turds, and then get pissy when people point out that it's still a turd. :lol:

Again... you CAN do an HDR subtly... it's just that many people do not. Saying you don't like HDR is like saying you don't like cookies just because you don't like chips ahoy.

CBRE%20-%20One%20Alewife%20-%20052%20-%20hdr.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back