Why this happening to me?

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by hpolat, Aug 27, 2007.

1. hpolat

hpolat TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I am new bie and the same problem over and over again.
    I am not sure whether I am using high ISO or not (necessary especially when I have no tripod and low light) I got this colorful (red green) layer over my photo, looks so terrible. How can I reduce it? what am I doing wrong ? (don't worry abut out of focus unless it is part of the reason, the problem is all over the picture, I circled the area when you can clearly see it.)
    thank you
    [​IMG]

2. LaFoto

LaFoto Just Corinna in real life Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Heya hpolat, welcome to ThePhotoForum.
    Normally I would say your posted photo is too large for web-showing, and that you should best stick to a maximum width of 800px (when it is a horizontal frame), but with this I accept that your primary goal was to show us the chromatic abberration (only learned this word myself the day before yesterday! ;)) that you get.

Well, you say you don't know if you work with high iso settings?
    How come you don't know?
    Don't you set the ISO by hand?

And even if you are unsure, you can still check on the photo's EXIF data to find out what iso your camera was set to.

Anyhow, high iso creates noise, and large as this photo is, I would assume this is the "colour noise" (or more technically "chromatic abberration") that you get from it. If you had shown your photo smaller, I doubt we would have seen that much of it.

3. LaFoto

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Oh sure!
    Your pic was taken at 1/8000 (!) at ISO 3200!
    That explains quite much of it then!

4. glaston

glaston TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Wow. Those are some extreme settings you're using there.
    Looks like you got some weird shadow artifacts going there judging by what's going on around the problem area.

You've offended the god of color though that's for sure.

I have no suggestions on a solution since I can't really tell what the problem is.

5. sothoth

sothoth TPF Noob!

It seems like LaFoto got it right... you took this at a very high ISO and that pretty much guarantees problems with graininess. On my camera, I also get color distortion where patches of the image look too green or too blue or too red. I don't shoot my digital above ISO 100 unless I have to, and even when I have to, I accept that the pictures may end up unacceptably grainy.

I don't know if I see any evidence of chromatic aberration or not but for the sake of argument lets say you have it... that type of distortion is caused by a low quality lens, which refracts light of different wavelengths at different angles, so you get color distortion around the fringes of color transitions. Here's an example from Wiki which is a pretty good one:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chromatic_aberration

I'd be willing to be that if you drop the ISO way down (pretty much as low as your camera goes) your problem will disappear, and if you still don't like it, try shooting with a lens that you're sure doesn't have C.A. problems.

Good luck.

By the way, that bird looks pretty fiesty, I'd use a telephoto and keep my distance. :)

6. Alex_B

Alex_B No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Nobody needs 1/800 to hold the camera steady ... and the colour noise you get is what one would expect at ISO 3200. It usually shows stronger in the dark parts.

Try to use ISO at or below 800 and use some noise reduction software.

7. LaFoto

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Oh. I might have got a wrong idea about what "chromatic abberration" really is, thanks for the wiki explanation link, sothoth, so IS there a special word for this kind of colour noise?

8. Alex_B

Alex_B No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    yes, it is .... colour noise ( ;) ), which is a standard component of digital noise if you want to subdivide it that way. I would not know of any other term.

These fluctuations in the signal are amplified alot since the signal to noise ration is too low at high ISO.

9. fmw

fmw No longer a newbie, moving up!

Just noise. Cut down the ISO setting to the lowest possible level for the situation. Personally, I leave mine at the lowest possible level for every image. I use a tripod when hand holding isn't enough. The extra trouble is worth it to get better image quality.

10. neea

neea TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    wow 3200. Mine only goes to 1600 unless the rest are hiding in some strange menu.

EDIT: not that i'd ever use them of course. i rarely go over 100 or 200 unless im 'experimenting' lol.

11. Don Simon

Don Simon TPF Noob!

I use ISO 3200 if I absolutely have to... as they are the images are usable for small prints and they can always be cleaned up a bit with software.

But again, only if I have to.

It should be possible to have the camera limit which ISO settings can be selected by the camera in auto modes... you may want to set it to 800 or lower (and then you can always raise it yourself when necessary).

12. Digital Matt

Digital Matt alter ego: Analog Matt

Photos NOT OK to edit
    In addition to what has been said I have to say that this image is remarkable in terms of noise for ISO 3200. It's not something I would throw away simply because it is noisy.