Why to shoot in raw mode.

PropilotBW

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I came across a link that I thought was very interesting and may sway me to never shoot in JPEG again.
I shot my last vacation entirely in RAW and immediately realized I was able to salvage photos, that I probably didn't realize we're salvageable, by using Lightroom.
It's a good link for beginners to understand the benefit of shooting in RAW.

Why to shoot in Raw mode - Two compelling reasons - farbspiel photography

1186662_377593659035381_927668002_o.jpg

I came across a link that I thought was very interesting and may sway me to never shoot in JPEG again.
I shot my last vacation entirely in RAW and immediately realized I was able to salvage photos, that I probably didn't realize we're salvageable, by using Lightroom.
It's a good link for beginners to understand the benefit of shooting in RAW.

My notion was that the two compelling reasons did not have great significance, but I agree tremendously with your point about salvaging results. Not really meaning the awful results (who ever has that problem? :) ), but instead, just sufficiently fixing our routine shots. White balance and minor exposure issues can make so much difference.

I would offer the video near page top here: Why shoot Raw?

To non-photographers, Raw probably means naked. :) May have influenced the T shirt design too? :)

I do a lot of work for websites ( mine and others ) I could not justifiably shoot raw and add more work in photoshop. If I am going to use the photos for some wicked digital art I lots of layers, ect I shoot raw...save it raw them save it in jpeg for website stuff.
I almost went nuts the first time I shot raw..lol 100+ images that took more time then I was paid for.

I don't see the difference, in terms of time, processing adjustments in JPEG or Raw in LR. Neither can I see the same in PS. Generally the file format do not determine the length of time for adjustments. PS is not meant for batch processing (you can automate some task). If you have loads of images to work on then you should be on LR not PS. I repeat it's not about the file format (though raw and tiff provides greater PP potentials) it's the user, purpose and the tools he chose or the lack of knowledge for these.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't see the difference, in terms of time, processing adjustments in JPEG or Raw in LR. Neither can I see the same in PS. Generally the file format do not determine the length of time for adjustments. PS is not meant for batch processing (you can automate some task). If you have loads of images to work on then you should be on LR not PS. I repeat it's not about the file format (though raw and tiff provides greater PP potentials) it's the user, purpose and the tools he chose or the lack of knowledge for these.

I agree with the your point. For the most part, working with raw files in LR is practically as fast as working with JPEGs in LR. Most people who associate raw files with taking a long time, are probably thinking of a non-LR workflow.

That being said, when time really is of the essence, jpegs (especially small jpegs) can be much faster.
I shoot weddings with a photographer who does up a quick slide show at the reception. So up until that point, we shoot RAW+small JPEG. He copies the small jpegs off of the cards in only a few seconds, where as it would take several minutes, just to get the raw files off of the cards. It's also quicker to import and process the small jpeg files.

But that is really the only time I shoot JPEG.

RAW is definitely worth it and something that every DSLR photographer should learn about.

BUT--and this is something I don't see get mentioned nearly often enough in threads like this--any newcomer expecting to shoot RAW and magically have the quality of their work vaulted into the stratosphere as a result is going to be sorely disappointed. RAW doesn't truly start to pay dividends until you learn how to take advantage of it. Until you learn, there is a chance that the camera's JPEG's will be just as good (if not better) than the results you obtain from noobish RAW processing.

I see RAW as the difference between buying a highly processed pre-made cake from the store and making your own from scratch.

The one from the store is quick and easy, but a homemade cake can be much more creative and tastes much better (most of the time)

I see RAW as the difference between buying a highly processed pre-made cake from the store and making your own from scratch.

The one from the store is quick and easy, but a homemade cake can be much more creative and tastes much better (most of the time)

My food analogy is more like ordering a ham and cheese sandwich, fries and a soda for lunch.

With JPEG, the sandwich you are served is what you have to eat. With raw, you can change it to chipped beef on rye, or turkey and bacon on wheat, or even a hamburger with extra barbecue sauce. You can also change the fries to onion rings or potato chips, and the soda can be decaffeinated coffee or iced tea.

I didn't know that people still wore "I Shoot Raw" t-shirts. I figured (was hoping?) they had long ago joined similar garments ("Winning", "Git 'R Done", "Take Me Drunk, I'm Home", etc.) at Value Village.

Most reactions

Back