Why use M when you have A?

You shouldn't either, unless you have some sort of insecurity about the brand you chose.
The snarks from you aren't necessary either.

I don't have any insecurities. If I wanted to shoot Nikon, I would go buy one tomorrow.

Maybe I should insert Nikon "facts" into every post I make, even if they're unrelated to the topic. Let's see how many posts I make before someone calls me out on it. I would image it would be pretty quickly.

I won't do it because I don't want to further pollute the board with non-sense. I'm hoping we can clean it up.

Not a snark, it was an honest observation brought about by the fact that you seem to get very defensive... I'm secure enough in the brand I picked because I like it, and that's all that matters, and I'm sure it's the same with you. Rip away on Nikon all you want, I know I have an awesome(albeit middle-of the road) body capable of spectacular images... and it's only limited by my own ability.

Not a snark, it was an honest observation brought about by the fact that you seem to get very defensive... I'm secure enough in the brand I picked because I like it, and that's all that matters, and I'm sure it's the same with you. Rip away on Nikon all you want, I know I have an awesome(albeit middle-of the road) body capable of spectacular images... and it's only limited by my own ability.
Good for you.

I'm so damn giddy about my 1D4 that I still can't sleep at night thinking of my next shoot.

Now that we're done salivating over our cameras... ;)

I am trying to promote non-fanboyism in posts. We can turn a blind eye to such behavior or we can try to nip it in the bud. It's my nature to nip things in the bud. You might be more passive. To each their own.

I don't care if people rib each other with tongue in cheek posts, friends do such things. But Derrels comments aren't friendly nor made tongue in cheek.

Anyway...

eeeh, that the hell - my 2 cents... ;)
Didn't read the other 90+ responses

I like manual, I learned how to shoot in manual and end up staying this way 99% of the time.
For me, the advantage of using M over A is ability to modify what I need and how I need faster - for example if I'm shooting indoors with crappy yellow lights all around me and I'm using flash, #1, I have to take WB into account (yes I shoot raw but I prefer to spend more time shooting and less time processing) #2, many cameras and my including, at A mode, in-doors with a flash attached will jump to 1/60sec. The only time I shoot around that speed is if I WANT MORE ambient light but when everything around me is yellow, and my flash is failrly colder, I prefer less ambient thus I shoot usually @ 1/125sec...
IF I were to shoot at Shutter priority, by default camera would open the lens wide open and thats is something that I don't like. I like to stay around 5.6-11 based on my environment therefore I HAVE to stay in M. NOW, my flash - thats is my main light. It gives me the juice and color that I need on faces and the scene.

Plus M, for me, provides consistency - b/c I know that at camera's 8 1/125, iso 400 at 12 feet my flash units will give me my exposure correctly REGARDLESS of how camera's builtin meter is set and REGARDLESS of my ambient light changes (I'm not referring to me walking outside midday to indoors with one little 45Watts light bulb).

Isn't this essentially giving you the flexibility that you can get in manual mode? So then what's the advantage of using manual mode over other modes?

I guess my answer would be...because I can shoot in manual mode. I've used a Pentax K1000 for so many years that M mode is very comfy.

I use any mode just because I can.
...and depends on the situation.

I like manual, I learned how to shoot in manual and end up staying this way 99% of the time.
For me, the advantage of using M over A is ability to modify what I need and how I need faster - for example if I'm shooting indoors with crappy yellow lights all around me and I'm using flash, #1, I have to take WB into account (yes I shoot raw but I prefer to spend more time shooting and less time processing) #2, many cameras and my including, at A mode, in-doors with a flash attached will jump to 1/60sec. The only time I shoot around that speed is if I WANT MORE ambient light but when everything around me is yellow, and my flash is failrly colder, I prefer less ambient thus I shoot usually @ 1/125sec...
IF I were to shoot at Shutter priority, by default camera would open the lens wide open and thats is something that I don't like. I like to stay around 5.6-11 based on my environment therefore I HAVE to stay in M. NOW, my flash - thats is my main light. It gives me the juice and color that I need on faces and the scene.

Plus M, for me, provides consistency - b/c I know that at camera's 8 1/125, iso 400 at 12 feet my flash units will give me my exposure correctly REGARDLESS of how camera's builtin meter is set and REGARDLESS of my ambient light changes (I'm not referring to me walking outside midday to indoors with one little 45Watts light bulb).
Using a flash is a primary reason for using M. But when you're out shooting street photography, an airshow, or some other event where the subject is moving and the lighting conditions are rapidly changing (without a flash), using M isn't the best solution if you want to maximize your keepers.

Some folks insist on staying in manual for some reason, which is fine. Most of it stems from either 1) being old school and not willing to change or 2) thinking shooting in manual makes you a real photographer.

All of the experienced photogs I run with use different modes for different things. Sometimes M, sometimes Tv other times Av. That's why they're there. They have distinct benefits for different situations. You're only limiting yourself by not taking advantage of them, but that doesn't make your decision to not use them "wrong".

Do what works for you. People asking "what mode should I use" means they need to get off the internet and spend more time shooting to figure out what works for them. :D

Most reactions

Back