Why we need to use proper language and spelling

I only skimmed this thread, but here's my too sence. ( ;) )

Excessive bad grammar and bad spelling grates on my nerves a bit . . . but no one is perfect, and in a forum setting, people tend to post in a casual, conversational manner. I know I make mistakes, and I know I use words that I would never use in any of my college term papers. I use words like "gonna" and "dunno." And I'm certain I misspell things sometimes. Heck, I'm not sure I spelled 'excesive' at the beginning of this paragraph correctly!

Another thing I notice is that people on forums tend to spell phonetically. That's why you get words like 'sense' instead of 'since' and 'rediculous' instead of 'ridiculous', and so on and so forth.

And sometimes, it's not because people are stupid . . . there are just certain rules that are hard for them to remember for some reason, or spellings that don't stick in thier minds.

For instance, I can never remember, no matter how many times I look it up, the difference between effect and affect. I even found a nmeumonic (sp?) for it at one time. Or 'tomorrow' . . . I can't remember if it has one M or two.

And it's not as simple as installing a language pack. Some mix ups are real words, they're just the wrong words. And some people post from work or school, as I OFTEN do.

Now, that said, I do encourage people to use the best grammar and spelling they can, and not to use leetspeak (or however the young whippersnappers spell that these days). :p

No one will be banned for spelling and grammar the is totally obnoxious, but you probably won't be gaining a lot of respect or admiration, either. (I'm talking about the extreme cases of leetspeak).

So, if I say aboot, instead of about...that is cool then. According to y'all, that is what you think we say. :lmao::lmao::lmao: eh?:lmao::lmao: Dang(darn)where is my toque.

Chiller . . . when Stu (GoM) came to Chicago last year and met up with me . . . we both cracked up at each other for how we pronounced things! 'Cept it wasn't really 'Aboot', it more more 'aboat'. :p

Chiller . . . when Stu (GoM) came to Chicago last year and met up with me . . . we both cracked up at each other for how we pronounced things! 'Cept it wasn't really 'Aboot', it more more 'aboat'. :p
But it depends chicklette. We dont know if y'all hear wrong, or we speaketh wrong. It is automattically assumed that we say aboot to y'all, but maybe y'all hear aboot, even tho we say about. It is like...y'all. Y'all say y'all to us, even tho y'all think you say ya all(which is gramatically incorrect, cause(which is also incorrect)it should be you all).soooo...to make a short story long, Im going to kill two stones with one bird here.... nobody really knows what the other person is saying.
9.gif

My only point with any of my posts in this thread is this:
I would much rather get advise from someone that appears knowlegable and educated than to someone that uses "leet speak", I can not "conversate" with someone and believe they are even semi intelligent. (man even typing "conversate" was like fingernails on a chalkboard).

I believe when posting on a forum or in email etc., posts may not have to be perfect (they aren't being graded or being presented for business), but spell check isn't rocket science either. If someone can't speak or spell when asking for help, is trying to help them with their problem really going to matter? Thay apparently have much bigger problems than "how do I put a copyright into my picture" or "how do I put a frame around my picture".

So, if I say aboot, instead of about...that is cool then. According to y'all, that is what you think we say. :lmao::lmao::lmao: eh?:lmao::lmao: Dang(darn)where is my toque.

:lol:

Uh-oh, Chiller's goin' "oot & aboot"

Chiller, you took my "Why we need to use proper language and spelling" thread and created a misspelling contest out of it!!!!

How could someone not adore you?!:hug::

:hugs: It is all in fun. :hugs: Life is too short not to share a laugh or two. During our days, we are faced with craziness, and sometimes we just have to let go...ya know...(sorry, grandmatically incorrect)

Paul....dont worry brother...I have not created a gravestone with your name on it...yet....whwhahahahaha...:lol:
As for the gramma stuff. Im a warehouse manager by day, so I have to speak all professional, and la tee da-ish. Photography is my release, so I dont take any of this that serious. Just ignore Chiller when he gets out of hand. I will put him back in his crypt a little later.

Ya no, most pplz kin figger oot wot dem lolcatz is sayin.

It's still not a good excuse for failing to express oneself with greater acumen than is attributed to a creature that licks its own butt.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back