Why won't canon teleconverter work with Tamron?

SuzukiGS750EZ

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Why won't the canon teleconverter work with a Tamron 150-600 g2? And if I buy the Tamron, is it compatible with Canon lenses? Agent all the contacts in it the same on both?

Canon's teleconverters have a physical protrusion on the front; so part of the lens actually sticks into the back of the lens it is fitted to. This means that it physically cannot mount to certain lenses. Canon, of course, only lists lenses that are own brand which it will mount; whilst if you google around you can generally find it if will mount to any others on the market.

Be aware that for many zooms the rear element can move back and forth, so the teleconverter might fit at the long end but could bump into the rear element at the short end so do look into that.

Why won't the canon teleconverter work with a Tamron 150-600 g2? And if I buy the Tamron, is it compatible with Canon lenses? Agent all the contacts in it the same on both?
They don't work with a lot of Canon lenses, either. I bought a Kenko converter after talking to Kenko as which lenses it would work with and they said that as far as they were aware it worked with all EF lenses on the market (about ten years ago, mind).

I understand that most lenses (below 400mm) do not have the large void in their back end to allow these TC's but the Tamron and Sigma 150-600's do. I've seen a few with Canon converters. The other part to my statement about the link is that someone has put a Canon converter on their Tamron G2.

Would I be best off to match the Tamron 1.4x converter with my Tamron 150-600 g2 or is there a more compatible converter I would be able to use with more than one lens?

I have 2 Kenko converters that do not work with all my Canon Lens's. So I bought a Canon 1.4X III and it does work with ALL my Canon lens's but not with off brand lens's. Just the way it is.

I have 2 Kenko converters that do not work with all my Canon Lens's. So I bought a Canon 1.4X III and it does work with ALL my Canon lens's but not with off brand lens's. Just the way it is.

I would think that the Tamron TC would probably give the best results with the G2 since Tamron is claiming the new TC's were designed exclusively* for select Tamron lenses but am not completely sure since I've never used a Kenko.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back