Why would I pay exorbitant prices of Adobe products when!

As Photoshopper with years of experience, GIMP is not even in the same ballpark. Yes, for a free open source app, it is fabulous!

My biggest issue with GIMP is that it's not as hardware scalable as Photoshop and lacks enough plugin support. I run Photoshop on my gaming machine of Quad Cores (p4 Q6600) with 2gb RAM, Nvidia 8800GTS. GIMP is not nearly as responsive.

Since I'm a noob to photography, I know that the more I learn about dslr photography, the more inadequate I learn that my kit lens is. Same can be said for GIMP.

Find a buddy that's a student and get a copy of Photoshop from him/her. You won't be sorry with your investment, I promise.

I had CS2 at one point but it was far too complicated for my experience. I have been using paintshop Pro over the years and found it perfect for my uses, until now, and thats what it comes down to I feel. If its your profession, then you need professional software and you can justify the paying the price for it. Ive just downloaded gimp and to adjust exposures etc, it works great. I have seen around here people talking about HDR. At a glance, Gimp appears to have layers capability so if I understand correctly you just load the the different images into their own layer and adjust those layers until you get the desired effect, is this correct? Im not one for tweaking images to that degree as I like to judge my own results right of the memory card, but I'd like to toy with a few things if I can.

i would like to know what percentage of photoshop users paid for it....
I would say a fairly high percentage, though you will never find out.

It's much like the gaming environment. Everyone is creating renders from game screenshots with a $3000 3DSMax. Sure they paid $3000 to create pretty renders of their screenshots. Yet, they are the first to jump all over those who crack the games that they are playing. Quite ironic.

You do have a large quantity of professional photographers here. I'm sure they all paid the $600 or whatever for photoshop. You would be foolish not to if you are in the profession. I highly doubt the $200-300 camera users paid $600 for software though.

yeah... I've met pros who didnt pay for it, and a lot of people in my age group (18-22 lets say) i know didnt pay for it. but yeah, you're right i guess most people on this forum (if they really take their work seriously, or copyright laws i suppose) would pay for it. There are student discounts available too so its more affordable for our age group

ooooo...burrnnnn

my last job paid for my copy of creative suite cs2 so i had no qualms taking it with me when i left the company

Anyone is wants to get paid for his own work and yet bootlegs PS is a hypocrite of the first order.

Most reactions

Back